Six Reasons Why All-Nighters Are Bad For You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

It’s no surprise that all-nighters aren’t good for your health or your academic career, but we all still do it. A study from St. Lawerence University concluded that students who frequently pulled all-nighters had lower grades in school.  But if that’s not enough to convince you, here are six more reasons:

1. Pulling all-nighters decreases your productivity
  2. Losing sleep decreases your mental sharpness needed to tackle your day’s worth of work
  3. Sleep deprivation from all-nighters can decrease long-term learning and memorization
  4. People who pull all-nighters usually rely on caffeine and Adderall for energy, both of these are detrimental to your health when used improperly and/or excessively.
  5. Sleep deprivation often leads to overeating, and by extension, unwanted weight gain.
  6. Exhaustion can cause a weakened immune system, depression, and irritability.   

Make sure you get some shut eye, you owe it to yourself. How else are you going to take on the world? 

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.
Lena Lahalih

Toronto MU

Lena is a fourth year English major at Ryerson University and this year's Editor-in-Chief.   You can follow her on Twitter: @_LENALAHALIH