This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Travel has been suspended for what feels like an eternity. However, there’s hope on the horizon for travel to return in the near future. So why not start planning our well-deserved and well-awaited vacations that we’ve been dreaming about for months. Many up-and-coming unique countries around the world are definitely worth a visit. 

Here are five destinations to add to your post-pandemic bucket list. 

Australia

The land down under should be number one on everyone’s bucket list. A journey in itself to get there, this vast country is well worth an extended visit. It’s home to over 10,000 beaches, which would take you 27 years to visit each one. But besides spending your time at the beach, the country has so much more to offer. 

The most popular location is the east coast where you can spend weeks hopping from one city to another exploring the amazing adventures along the way. Highlights include the Great Barrier Reef, the Daintree Rainforest, skydiving and surfing in Byron Bay, sailing in the Whitsunday Islands, four-wheel driving on Fraser Island, exploring the dazzling Gold Coast, or enjoying the metropolis city of Sydney. 

The Australian outback is definitely not to miss with wild and expansive terrain and the famous Uluru (Ayers Rock). The southern coast is home to the Great Ocean Road, Melbourne, Adelaide, and the adventurous island of Tasmania. And don’t overlook the west coast. A more rugged version of the attractive east coast, the west is a hidden gem with just as much beauty and land to explore. Highlights include the main city of Perth, the eccentric town of Fremantle, swimming with whale sharks in the Ningaloo Reef, riding camels on Cable Beach in Broome, exploring Monkey Mia, Nambung, Kalbarri, and Cape Range National Parks, and seeing some of the most beautiful and empty beaches in the world. 

The country is also a backpacker’s dream destination. It will be hard deciding where to choose to explore. Maybe just stay a year!

Italy

Italy is a country with much to offer. With several of the finest European cities, the options are endless where to choose to explore. The capital city of Rome is filled with history, culture, food, and endless iconic experiences to discover. The Colosseum, the Pantheon, Vatican City, the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps are just some of the essential places to visit.

The Amalfi Coast along the southwest side of the country is a 50-kilometre stretch of a colourful and rugged coastline. Beautiful beaches mixed with breathtaking cliffs harbour distinguishing fishing villages and vineyards spread throughout. Cinque Terre is another five-town string of fishing villages along the northwest coast. Exploring from town to town while diving into the turquoise waters or hiking through the rocky cliffs is definitely a must on everyone’s Italian bucket list. 

Puglia is at the tip of the boot and is a spectacular seaside town with gorgeous whitewashed buildings making it a captivating destination. Venice, the city of canals, has no roads. This ancient and romantic cultural destination is a picturesque city to explore for a couple of days or weeks. 

Moving inland away from the coastline, the rolling hills of Tuscany are home to hundreds of vineyards, rugged countryside, as well as several beautiful and historical cities. Florence is the capital of the Renaissance, home to David’s Michelangelo and Botticelli’s work. Sienna, Pisa, and Lucca are also spectacular Tuscan cities to explore. 

Italy is a cultural experience in itself. There is so much diversity to choose from. But there’s certainly no shortage of indulging in pizza, pasta, fresh fruits and vegetables, olive oil, truffles, and wine wherever you are. 

Bolivia

Located in central South America, Bolivia is an up-and-coming tourist destination. Home of the famous and beautiful Uyuni Salt Flats makes for a magical and adventurous experience. The Andes Mountains provide plenty of outdoor activities, along with the Amazon Basin Rainforest, the Atacama Desert, and Lake Titicaca. The capital, La Paz, is a unique cultural experience as there’s no shortage of diverse things to do. Find yourself travelling through multiple climate zones through this unique country.

South Africa

South Africa is another destination with a variety of ecosystems to travel through. Starting in the coastal city of Cape Town underneath the breathtaking Tabletop Mountain, activities are endless. You’ll find yourself surrounded by beaches, hiking trails, history and culture, a beautiful port, and incredible restaurants and shops. Kruger National Park is a phenomenal safari destination where you can see any African animal imaginable. From beaches, cities and nightlife to safaris, hiking and vineyards, South Africa is a diverse bucket list destination.

Greece

Another top and not to miss European destination is Greece. This small and magical country has so much beauty and culture to offer. Starting on the mainland is the city of Athens, Europe’s oldest capital city. The Acropolis, the Citadel, and the Parthenon Temple are just a few of the city’s historical landmarks. 

Moving away from the mainland, are the country’s 6,000 islands, however, only 227 are inhabited. The famous Santorini is home to the iconic whitewashed buildings, making a picturesque Greek experience. You can spend weeks exploring the island of Crete, the largest island in Greece. Choose to explore several beautiful ports, historic sites, and pristine beaches all over the island. Mykonos is the most popular island for a nightlife and party atmosphere. Along with the several dance clubs and beach bars, there are also historic landmarks to explore. Rhodes, Corfu, Naxos, Paros, and Skopelos are all popular destinations as well. Mamma mia, too many to choose from!

So get your passport and suitcase ready because before you know it, we’ll be back in the air flying towards our next destination. In the meantime, have fun researching and planning your trip!

Allegra is a third-year Sport Media student at Ryerson University. Growing up living between a hemp farm and the waters of Georgian Bay, her life is strongly centred around the outdoors and environment. Allegra is constantly immersed in sports, sailing, all things health and fitness, while trying to inspire the community. Ambitious in journalism, her dream is to travel the world following her passion for writing, sports, and the outdoors.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.