Real-Life Ryerson Student Struggles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

With exam season literally right around the corner, I’m sure the sleep deprivation has set in even more so now than ever before. You, among thousands of other students, are neglectful to your last lectures of the year and you’re chugging half a dozen double doubles from Tims, hoping that eventually you might spring out of your seasonal depression.

We’ve finally made it. Whether this is your first year as a Rye High student, your graduating year or somewhere in between, it’s safe to say that there’s a handful of habits or struggles you’ve been accustomed to as a student attending this downtown commuter school. Why don’t we reminisce? Yes, reading this article is indeed the perfect excuse to take a break from that final political science term paper that I know you’re only two paragraphs deep in– so let’s reflect on the problems but also perks that only a Ryerson student would understand.

Forgetting you have money left on your OneCard until the last week of school

Many first years have some sort of plan that lets us use that nifty OneCard of ours to pay for food. The only issue is that it’s really easy to forget about this credit until the last week of school when exams start and you suddenly feel the need to shovel a lemon loaf and a grande mocha with two espresso shots down your throat every hour of every day. THAT, my friends, is where your OneCard dollars come in handy. Thank me later.

The battle for downtown parking

Although this isn’t a common hastle for everyone, there are a brave few who do attempt to drive to school or maybe hitch a ride with a friend. That is an unfortunate circumstance. Downtown parking is a literal catastrophe– you’ll never be lucky enough to snag a spot close to your class which resorts in a overpriced mission from one of the eery underground parking garages. No thanks.

Taking the subway during rush hour

One aspect about Ryerson that I’m almost positive no one misses in the summer is the commute. Not even the commute as a whole, per se, but taking the subway from ANYWHERE to Ryerson or home from Ryerson during rush hour. The prime rush hour is between 8:00-9:30 am and 4:30-6:00 pm. The weird thing is, if you get on the subway RIGHT before 8 and 5, you’ll be fine. Anytime after that, I can almost guarantee you won’t make it anywhere on time.

Living for Warehouses’ $5.95 food menu

If you’re a frequent student, then I’m sure you pass by Yonge Street Warehouse on a regular basis. This laid-back pub style restaurant is filled with loud music, fun lights and good vibes, and let’s not forget the best part being the $5.95 food menu ALL day EVERY day. That’s right, if you haven’t satisfied your broke student cravings here do you really know how to manage your money?

Napping in the SLC

Sometimes having 8-hour journalism labs gets tiring or maybe your body starts shutting down after two business classes back to back in the same classroom. Ryerson students are pretty dedicated to their naps as far as I know, and what better place to nap than the SLC? The SLC has a Starbucks for your midday fix and is well equipped with eight floors and dozens of study rooms.

Waiting in line at Blaze Pizza

As Ryerson University is located in the heart of downtown, there are good places to eat everywegere. Blaze Pizza on Dundas, however, is the ultimate craving for foodies and students. With it being super close to campus, Blaze specializes in making personal pan pizzas customized to your liking right in front of your eyes! White Top, Art Lover & Green Stripe are just three of their signature pizzas but the options are endless! Gluten-free dough is also available upon request.

BUT…

With crazy good pizza comes crazy long lines! Blaze tends to attract crowds, so it’s important to beat the lunch rush. Ryerson students overcrowd the small restaurant, and it does get claustrophobic. Honestly though, the reward is almost always worth the wait.

The way of life of a Ryerson student might make other students want to pull their hair out in frustration. What I will say is that the atmosphere is usually good, and the memories are usually positive ones. Although it would be nice to wake up and not have to commute or deal with downtown crowding, I can’t say going to school would be fun without some of these stories. So with that, thank you for another one for the books, Rye. Till’ next year.

Madison Dolman

Toronto MU '22

Madison was born in Toronto, ON. Her addiction to online shopping is best fuelled by a high daily caffeine intake. Fluent in both French and Spanish, Madison spends the majority of her time keeping busy by juggling a school, work and social life, all while making time to write/edit for HC- Ryerson! Often seen sporting Aritzia clothing, her knack for perfect grammar and love for Prison Break are what makes her "unique", but her articles are pretty cool, too.