This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

In 2019, we were all just living in a post-Avengers Endgame world. I was honestly still reeling from the ending. But, “part of the journey is the end,” right?

Like many other fans, I was super excited to see what Marvel Studios had in store for Phase 4. Fast forward to Comic Con 2019, where Marvel Studios released their future plans. This plan included sequels, new films with new characters and TV shows––not a new venture for Marvel Studios, but exciting, nonetheless!

However, plans changed in 2020. Many MCU projects slated to be released in 2020 were postponed to 2021, affecting almost every project expected to release that year and onwards. Nevertheless, Marvel Studios came back with a bang in 2021.

So, without further ado, here are my rankings of the top nine MCU projects that came out in 2021! 

#9: Loki

This show was really fun to watch and it gave more screen time to a fan-favourite character, Loki. It also introduced the multiverse which, as we all know, is now a big part of the MCU. 

#8: What If…?

This was such a cool concept. It was refreshing to see an animated series in the MCU with various cast members from other projects coming back to voice their live-action roles. I’m looking forward to how this series influences future MCU projects (and it already has)!

#7: Hawkeye

I thought this show was well done and I loved the opening credits! The show gave Clint Barton more of an in-depth backstory and more screen time than he ever had in the films, which was great. The show also introduced Kate Bishop and Maya Lopez into the MCU and re-introduced Yelena Belova (from Black Widow) to audiences. These actresses’ performances were amazing and they all played well off each other. I cannot wait to see them in other MCU projects! 

#6: The Falcon and The Winter Soldier

Anyone who’s friends with me knows that one of my favourite MCU movies is Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014). Just imagine my excitement when Marvel Studios announced this show. The show focuses on Sam and Bucky carrying on Captain America’s legacy after the events in Endgame. This duo (along with new/old characters) absolutely exceeded my expectations for the show!

#5: Eternals

I have to admit, this movie was different from any other Marvel film, but it was honestly refreshing to watch. The special effects and visuals in this film were stunning as well! The casts’ performances as an ensemble were great and I’m very interested in how the future of the Eternals will play out in future MCU projects.

#4: Black Widow

I had been waiting years for a Black Widow/Natasha Romanoff film, and I was devastated when it kept getting postponed. However, the film was worth the wait. It gave fans a glimpse into the backstory of Natasha Romanoff in the Red Room and her life before the Avengers/SHIELD. It was an action-packed film that kept me on the edge of my seat!

#3: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

This film holds a special place in my heart. As someone who grew up not seeing a ton of people who looked like me on the big screen, it was absolutely amazing seeing this kind of representation reflected in the MCU. Everything about this film was amazing – from the plot, script, VFX, music/soundtrack and more! Watching it was one of the highlights of my year. Also, fun fact: Simu Liu who plays Shang-Chi is Canadian and was in CBC’s Kim’s Convenience!

#2: Spider-Man: No Way Home

Three is the magic number! I would honestly consider this film the most ambitious crossover ever made. Bringing back villains from the previous Spider-Man movies was honestly an amazing feat. But, bringing back Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield for this film was something that I never thought would happen. Seeing all three Spider-Man incarnations together on the big screen was something I will never forget. I have so much to say about this film but I’ll keep it brief! This film brought back so much nostalgia and happiness.

#1: WandaVision

I was honestly debating between Spider Man: No Way Home or WandaVision for my number one spot. But we all know who got the coveted spot on my list. This was my comfort show of 2021 and I would honestly watch it over and over again. It showcases different decades and television tropes that really make this show unique. Also, the theme songs were so catchy. It gives us a more in-depth backstory to Wanda Maximoff and foreshadows her role in upcoming projects, as well! The show directly sets up her role in the upcoming film, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022).

This was just ONE YEAR of Marvel projects; I cannot wait to see what the future holds for the MCU!

Sabrina Wong

Toronto MU '22

Sabrina is a fourth year student in the Media Production program. She has a passion for film, TV, Broadway, pop culture and everything in between! She currently co-hosts a podcast called “Ghosted”, where she and her co-host talk about Canadian ghost hauntings in their hometowns. When she’s not writing, she’s probably listening to Taylor Swift on repeat.