Rainbow Lattes: the New Superfood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The rainbow latte trend is now creating drinks based off health benefits rather than Instagram aesthetics.

Rainbow lattes used to only consist of espresso and food dye, but now they’ve expanded to using healthier options to colour the steamed milk, including charcoal, turmeric, matcha and beet root powders. Unlike regular lattes, most of the new rainbow drinks don’t contain espresso or any other form of caffeine.

Read more to find out how your latte can help your health! 

Activated Charcoal

Charcoal food and drinks have gone viral over the last couple of years, so why not create a charcoal latte?

Dumo G, a barista at The Black Canary Espresso Bar in Toronto, created a charcoal latte inspired by Black Panther. All of the flavoured lattes are based off of comic book characters.

After Black Panther came out, G decided to start to play with different kinds of ingredients. She created a drink that consists of activated charcoal, two shots of espresso with coconut flavour and steamed milk in an 8 oz. cup.

“Charcoal in itself has medicinal and superpower healing abilities,” said G. “I feel like the drink creates its own superhero aspect.”

Her charcoal latte ended up being the highest grossing themed drink at The Black Canary Espresso Bar.

G says that people started to order the drink regularly because of the aesthetic attached to it. As the hype of the movie died down, she noticed people would order it because they weren’t feeling well.

“You can make anything hype because it’s cool, but this has a purpose,” said G.

Green Matcha 

One of the superfood rainbow lattes you’re probably already familiar with is the matcha tea latte. This drink gets its green colouring from matcha powder.

According to Christian Brew, a barista at Page One, a lot of people in Japan use matcha tea in ceremonial events. The tea they use consists of matcha powder and hot water. A matcha latte is similar to this but instead of filling the whole cup with water you would only add enough to make a matcha solution and then fill the cup to the brim with steamed milk.

Brew says that if people are ordering a drink that’s unsweetened like their matcha or turmeric lattes, they are doing it for their health and not the aesthetics.

The drinks that are ordered purely for aesthetics and Instagram pictures are the food dye rainbow lattes. These lattes have no health benefits. The only thing that sets them apart from regular lattes is the food dye added to the steamed milk.

Turmeric and Beetroot

A newer addition to the superfood rainbow drinks are turmeric and beetroot lattes.

At Good Earth Coffeehouse these lattes are made using powders mixed with ginger and coconut sugar. Both of the decaf lattes were brought in for the fall season.

One of the owners, G Noorani says that their customers aren’t buying the lattes because of their colour.

“Usually it’s the people that know what the lattes are,” said Noorani. “They know it’s good for their health and it’s winter time so they realize their body probably needs it.”

G Noorani’s husband, Amyn Noorani, says that about 30 per cent of their customers (almost 50 people per day) come in for a turmeric or beetroot latte.

Shay Nicolay

Toronto MU '22

Shayna Nicolay has been a Her Campus National Writer since January 2023. She writes bi-weekly articles as well as covering timely content. She graduated from Toronto Metropolitan University in 2022, where she majored in journalism with a minor in graphic communications. Shayna was a contributing writer for her University's Chapter of Her Campus, and was the Editor-in-Chief of her University magazine, Folio. She also was the editorial intern for fashion content creator, Audree Kate Lopez, where she hired and managed a group of writers, ran the WordPress website, wrote and edited articles, and helped with social media copy. Shayna loves walks in nature, bingeing the newest TV show, beading jewelry, and is a mental health advocate. She loves storytelling and media, so content creation comes naturally to her. For the best memes, mental health tips, and bisexual visibility, follow Shayna @shaynicolay on Instagram and @shaynanicolay on TikTok.