This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Dear student who may be feeling lost,

You are not alone. 

As I wrap up my third-year of university, I still find myself struggling with the idea of what I am going to do with my life once this chapter closes. It seemed like just yesterday I was living in residence, new to the city, and everything it had to offer. It’s almost unbelievable to think that some of my friends have already graduated, a few with graduate degrees and others preparing a few more grueling years of school. When I look at myself, I can’t help but think: how come I haven’t found my passion? That one thing I can see myself doing for the rest of my life? 

If you’re also feeling this way, I’m here to reassure you that this is in fact all normal. Not knowing what may come next may feel nerve wracking, but it’s also what makes being in university so exciting. The four-or-so years of our undergrad are a time to make mistakes and develop new hobbies and interests. We’re at a stage in our lives where we aren’t expected to have things completely figured out. Not only are we trying to figure out the next few years of our lives, but on top of that, we’re responsible for handing in assignments and studying for exams on a regular basis. It’s no wonder that we’re feeling lost with all the stress we’re under. My advice to you is to find balance and perspective, while juggling all of these responsibilities. No matter how hard an exam or assignment may be, things always have a way of working themselves out.

Feeling lost will not last forever. It may not feel good right now, but it is all part of the process of growing up and finding where you belong (cheesy, I know). No matter how tough some moments may feel, believe me when I say you’ll only look back at the good ones. Go out, have fun, study hard, but most importantly: enjoy your time. You only get an experience like this once!

Love,

Maddy

Madeleine Law

Toronto MU '22

Madeleine is a 4th-year student in the Creative Industries program. She has loved being a part of the HerCampus Ryerson team, sharing her love for design, lifestyle and culture through her articles. In her free time she can be found doodling, scrolling through Pinterest or running around with her 4 dogs.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.