This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

After hours of binge-watching a show, it’s heartbreaking to learn that a next season might not happen. There are definitely some shows that don’t deserve a second season, but others have won our hearts and forever occupy our thoughts. Here are a few of those special shows that need a new season:

The Society

This dystopian teenage thriller show is so interesting and is about high school students who are trapped in a town with no adults. Unfortunately, Netflix has cancelled the show according to Variety. Showrunner Chris Keyser told Variety: “We spent the last bunch of months getting ready to go back again, dealing with all the COVID protocols. And then I got a call from Netflix saying, ‘We have made this decision.’ It was obviously pretty upsetting and abrupt.”

Shadowhunters

The Shadowhunter fandom is very prominent, and yet, Shadowhunters was cancelled ahead of its planned fourth series.  Executive Vice President of Programming and Development Karey told Deadline: “We are very proud of Shadowhunters, a series that broke new ground in the genre world and became a fan-favourite. However, along with our partners at Constantin, we reached the very difficult decision not to renew the show for a fourth season.” Apparently, according to Digital Spy,  the show had to be cancelled as a result of its production company Constantin Films lost an output deal with Netflix

Anne with an E

The popular period drama, based on the bestselling Canadian book series Anne of Green Gables, follows an orphan who finds a home and family in Green Gables. Anne has three seasons but is not expected to return to Netflix. The executive producer of the show, Moira Walley-Beckett, confirmed in an Instagram post: “Beloved fans & friends of #AWAE, I’m sorry for the sad Netflix/CBC news today/ I wish it could be different but it cannot. We have reached the end of the red Green Gables road after 3 wonderful seasons.”

Bojack Horseman

After finishing its sixth season, Aaron Paul revealed on Twitter that the beloved comedy series will not be returning to its streaming platforms. He wrote in his Tweet: “We had a wonderful time making BoJack. Couldn’t be more proud. Fell in love with these characters just like everyone else did but sadly Netflix thought it was time to close the curtains and so here we are. They gave us a home for 6 beautiful years. Nothing we could do about it.”

As cheesy as it sounds, these shows have made a mark on some of our lives and we can only hope that some of them come out with a new season despite COVID-19 restrictions. 

Prapti Bamaniya

Toronto MU '23

Prapti is a second year journalism student at Ryerson, and loves to write about news, lifestyle, and fashion. Her name is as unique as her experiences. She is an aspiring journalist and when she's not writing articles, she's probably reading a book, or rewatching New Girl for the hundredth time.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.