My Honest Thoughts on Each Day of the Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

After 20 years of life on Earth, I’ve realized that I really hate Mondays; but even worse than Mondays are Tuesdays. By Wednesday I have accepted that the week is happening and that I need to get started on my weekly to-do list. Thursdays are always full of anticipation for Friday, which means it’s finally the weekend and I can relax before starting the cycle over again the next Monday. 

If you are also finding yourself in this constant struggle against the week-long grind, read on for some honest thoughts and opinions about how to get yourself back on track and start reclaiming your weekly productivity.

Mondays are hard because they are the beginning (if you start your week on Sundays, we are going to have to have a longer chat). However, there is something special about that fresh start feeling that Mondays always give. The key to starting your week off right is having a clear plan for what you want to accomplish. I always start with a weekly “must-do” list. This list only includes my major deadlines for the week, such as any assignments that are due and other top priority tasks that have to get done before the weekend. Having a list of all of the ‘musts’ for the week make every Monday seem more manageable and keeps your productivity on track throughout the week.

If Mondays are hard, Tuesdays are harder. Tuesdays always seem like the real Monday because the feeling finally sinks in that you have to actually do all of the things on your ‘must-do’ list. My only advice for handling truly terrible Tuesdays is to grab yourself an extra coffee in the morning (or your favourite non-caffeinated comfort drink of choice) and tough it out until hump-day.

Wednesdays have a bad reputation of being the ‘hump’ of the week that we all somehow have to climb over. But after the hardships of Tuesdays, Wednesdays come like a blessing in disguise. An extra day to complete those outlying life tasks that need to be done before the weekend. Wednesday is my favourite day to do laundry and clean my bedroom. It makes everything feel fresh and keeps me going for the rest of the week. Wednesday is also the perfect time for a mid week mini self care day. Take the time to soak in the bathtub or do a facemask so you’re re-energized and ready to tackle the end of the week.

Thursday has always been my favourite day. It marks the just past halfway point, which means that you are through with the boring and hard part of the week, but it holds the promise of excitement and anticipation for the weekend. Thursday can be summed up by saying, “it’s almost Friday.” I also use my Thursdays to start a weekend to-do list. This list is more relaxed than the Monday must do’s, but still ensures that I have a clear idea of anything that needs to get done over the weekend, like homework, housework, and coffee dates with friends. Having a clear idea of what my weekend looks like by Thursday makes me feel both in control and excited for a much-needed break.

Finally, it’s Friday and you have reached the weekend. This is time for celebration! I always try to make my Friday nights exclusively fun, whether that means going out with my friends, relaxing at home with a good book, or going to bed a little earlier, Fridays are my day to unwind. Then, I use the rest of the weekend to tackle the list I made on Thursday. Weekends are also the perfect time to slow things down after a busy week – I love taking extra time to get ready in the morning and making an extra cup of coffee before really getting into my day.

Every day of the week poses its own challenges but also its own possibilities. Mondays are built for fresh beginnings, Wednesdays give you a little extra time to finish your to-do lists, Thursdays hold all of the anticipation for the weekend and of course weekends are always wonderful. Keep up with your weekday grind and find yourself becoming more productive each day.

Caroline Rodway

Toronto MU '21

Caroline is a fourth year student at Ryerson University studying Performance: Production & Design! She is a self-proclaimed Coke Zero Enthusiast, Proud Virgo, and INTJ. On her days off you can find her on her yoga mat, exploring the wilderness, or writing her next article. She is looking forward to the resurgence of all things theatre and until then will be patiently waiting to return to the backstage.
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.