burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

My Go-To Online Clothing Stores

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

I know how hard it can be to shop for clothes as a size 14/16 US body. I remember going to the mall with my friends pre-covid, watching them go into stores like Garage and Aritzia, and knowing that not a single thing there would fit over my shoulders. I would patiently wait until we got to Forever 21 so I could rummage through the shelves of their plus-size section (which had considerably less variety than the regular sized section). I think a lot of people can relate to this struggle. But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve come to realize that there is an endless supply of online clothing stores ready to take my money. In light of this, I have created a list of my favourite size-inclusive online clothing stores that I think are affordable and stylish! 

Pretty Little Thing

One of my personal favourites is Pretty Little Thing. They have a plus, shape, tall, and petite section for women’s clothing, along with straight sizes. Their prices range from very affordable to more pricey when you get into things like jeans and outerwear, but you can definitely find a cute $11 t-shirt. They always have super trendy options, which is especially hard to find when you move into plus sizes. The brand is based in the UK, but all duties and taxes are calculated at checkout.

Fashion Nova

I don’t think I could have written this piece without mentioning Fashion Nova. Fashion Nova has been my go-to for affordable and trendy clothes for TIME now. I love how they feature “Nova Babes” on their Instagram, so I can get a feel for how the clothes look on real people. They tag the person and give the name of the clothing item in the caption so you can find it easily on their website. They carry straight and plus-sizes. Their plus-size section is huge, and they always have great sales! I would highly recommend checking them out. 

H&M

I know you might be surprised to see me include H&M on my list because if you are like me, you’ve spent hours in the store trying to find a size 14 US pair of jeans that actually fit your size 14 US body. But I discovered last year that their online store is actually quite inclusive. They have straight, plus, and petite sizes. Although they are more on the higher end, they do have some affordable options. My order shipped within a day and arrived super fast. Their sizing can be a little confusing, so I recommend using the size guide and reading the reviews. 

Missguided

Missguided is a hit or a miss. They have adorable clothes that range from straight, plus, petite, and tall sizes, which is an awesome range for a brand to have. My only issue with my order from them was the duty fees They had to be paid to the courier online or upfront before your package arrived, and I was not told what this amount would be until then. I had an $80 order, to which I got to apply a 30% off promotional deal, but still had to pay $40 in taxes and duties, which essentially cancelled out any discount I received. I included them on my list because I think they have so much potential! Some of their clothes are so cute that I can somewhat justify paying the extra duties and taxes. 

ASOS

If I had money, and I mean money honey, I would buy everything from ASOS. I love everything about their website – their clothes and just the whole brand, from their message of inclusivity to the way the models do a runway walk of every garment, I am sold. They offer straight, plus, maternity, and petite sizes. They sell a lot of brand names such as Nike and Puma and offer a huge selection of shoes, accessories, and jewelry. Sometimes they have a 20% discount, as well as the 10% student discount offered all year, but other than that they are on the pricier side of the spectrum. 

These were five of my most frequented online clothing stores. I like how they offer size-inclusive options because I know how it feels to like the style of something and not being able to find my size in it. I think the fashion industry still has a long way to go, but I did find a bunch of stores that do make it possible to stay on budget and be fashionable at any size. 

Marina Arnone

Toronto MU '21

Marina is a fourth year English student at Ryerson University. She loves to write about beauty and fashion with the hopes of creating a little escape from everyday life! As a huge astrology fan, Marina identifies as a true Pisces and romanticizes every inch of life. She hopes to create articles that will inspire others the same way she has been so inspired by writing!
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.