This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

I’ve never been good with makeup. I’ve always said I prefer “the natural look,” but the truth is, I don’t know where to start and it intimidates me. The same goes for skincare: I’ve always used whatever cleanser and moisturizer were on sale at Wal-Mart, regardless if it was made for my skin type or not. I just recently discovered how knowing your skin type is really important in choosing skincare products, like duh Marina! Do I have dry skin? Or maybe oily? You’re telling me I can have both?

I decided at the beginning of quarantine that I wanted to love my skin and feel good about wearing makeup. I started doing some research and soon I realized I wanted to try Glossier. Glossier was founded in 2014 in an attempt to create a beauty brand that listened to the wants and needs of the average consumer. It is now a millennial favourite that helps one achieve that effortless Instagram look — the look that says, “I’m wearing makeup, but I don’t want it to look like I am.” 

A post shared by Glossier (@glossier) on

I decided to order a few makeup and skincare products and give my full and honest opinions of them. I have combination skin that tends to be more on the oily side and I also have fair skin. My review is based on my own experience with the products, so what works or doesn’t work for me might be different for you!

Makeup: Perfecting Skin Tint ($32 CAD)

The Glossier Perfecting Skin Tint is a sheer tint that acts as a medium between wearing no makeup and wearing foundation. It is supposed to give you that dewy appearance while still feeling light and looking smooth. The tint is offered in 12 shades, ranging from G1 (their richest shade) to G12 (their lightest shade). I ordered shade G10 which is their “light-medium shade.” The bottle is the size of my palm (okay, it’s a little small) but the website states that you’re only supposed to use a few drops. 

I usually don’t wear foundation, especially on a day-to-day basis, so I was really excited to use this product. The bottle says to apply with your fingertips, which I did, and it applied well! It is definitely sheer and very light coverage. I liked how it was easy to blend, which is one of my biggest fears with foundation. It also gave me a dewy finish without looking oily. The only downside I noticed was that it’s not longwearing; a few hours after application, there was absolutely no trace of the tint left on my face, which was very disappointing. Overall I did like it. $32 CAD is a little pricey but it is a sheer tint and it delivered what was promised. 

Makeup: Haloscope ($27 CAD)

Haloscope is a highlighter stick that is meant to give you a soft glow while conditioning and moisturizing the face. Haloscope has an outer core, the highlighter, and an oil-based inner core that blend together while being applied. They offer Haloscope in three shades: Moonstone, Quartz and Topaz. 

I decided to order Haloscope in Quartz because Glossier claims it to be “universally flattering” and I had to take my chances. I can honestly say that this is one of the best purchases I have made from Glossier. The stick is so easy to apply, and the rose gold sheen is so easy to blend out with your fingertips. It’s not overpowering and I have even started wearing it without any other makeup on days when I want to add a little sparkle into my day. I might need to try the other shades too. ​

Skincare: Milky Jelly Cleanser ($22 CAD)

The Milky Jelly Cleanser is Glossier’s top-rated gel face wash. It comes in a full size (177 mL) and a mini size (60 mL). I decided to get the full size because the reviews were so positive (and I am also not very good at making practical decisions). 

My experience with the Milky Jelly Cleanser has overall been okay—nothing really dazzling. It leaves my face a little tight after but I do follow it with serums and a moisturizer, so that’s not much of a problem. My biggest issue is the smell. Oh, the smell. It is so strong and floral, it’s just all around so bad. Its only saving grace is its super soft and creamy texture. It also doesn’t make me break out, which is so surprising considering how fragrant it is. I’m definitely going to finish the bottle but as for a repurchase, I’m not totally sold. 

Skincare: Futuredew ($30 CAD)

Futuredew is an oil-based hybrid serum that you are supposed to use as the last step of your skincare routine. It uses plant extracts and oils to create a fresh look. You could use the product after your regular serums, oils and moisturizer or you could apply your makeup on top. I’m always looking for a product to give me a dewy finish, so I was so excited to get Futuredew in the mail. 

I did my morning skincare routine and I then applied two pumps of the serum into my fingertips and smoothed onto my face. I was in love. I looked soft and plump all day. The product is oil-based, so if you do have oily skin like me, it can be a hit or miss. Some days I use it and I look so dewy and amazing, while other times it makes me look very greasy and will give me a few pimples. Although it is a very cute product, you would need to do some playing around to see how it will affect your skin.

Skincare: Priming Moisturizing Balance ($30 CAD)

The Glossier Priming Moisturizing Balance is an oil-control gel moisturizer. It is supposed to be a lightweight cream that mattifies the skin and makes it ideal for makeup application. The moisturizer comes in a 50 mL tube and the packaging was classic Glossier: minimalist and pink (of course). 

I was hesitant to use this product because my skin often fluctuates between dry and oily, but I have noticed it to be more oily since wearing a mask. The moisturizer was a solid hit for me. I love gel moisturizers for my skin and this one was perfect. Other moisturizers I have used in the past have left me feeling oily by the end of the day but thankfully, this one has not. It doesn’t have a smell to it, which I adore. It is also very cooling and leaves my skin feeling fresh and clean so I would highly recommend it!

I can definitely see and maybe even get behind the Glossier hype. They offer minimalist makeup that make it easier to feel confident and excited to experiment, especially if you are new to the makeup world like me. Similarly, their skincare products are simple and effective. It is clear why millennials love Glossier so much: the dewy look is in. It’s trendy and hip, and everybody wants to be just that. Although not everything I tried was a hit, I enjoyed my experience enough to make this article and spread some love their way. 

Marina Arnone

Toronto MU '21

Marina is a fourth year English student at Ryerson University. She loves to write about beauty and fashion with the hopes of creating a little escape from everyday life! As a huge astrology fan, Marina identifies as a true Pisces and romanticizes every inch of life. She hopes to create articles that will inspire others the same way she has been so inspired by writing!
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.