The Lalapink Beauty Products
The Lalapink Beauty Products
Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

My Beauty Routine For The New Decade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Now that we’re over a month into 2020, I can say that I have finally perfected my beauty routine, which has been in progress for years. 

Back when I was in eighth grade, I was first introduced to the world of makeup. Sure, I used to go through my mom’s makeup drawer and put on her eyeshadow and blush for fun, but the only makeup products I actually used and started wearing to school everyday were mascara and some kind of fruit flavoured Lip Smacker. I had no idea about the importance of skincare and only started really focusing on it when high school came around. 

By Grade Nine, the contouring craze and makeup tutorial YouTube videos were at their peak and everybody was trying to chisel their faces for the gods. My first contour palette was by Smashbox. It had a step by step guide on how to contour along with a contour, bronze, and highlight shade (though it wasn’t even a highlight, there was no shimmer or shine!). At this point in time, I would come to school with very light foundation coverage, mascara, and concealer, all without setting powder; not to mention a crazy amount of contour and bronzer.

In Grade Ten, I ended up switching contour palettes to the Anastasia Beverly Hills contour kit, along with acquiring my first real highlighter from the same brand. I also purchased their amazing Brow Definer, which I still use to this day – except now my eyebrows aren’t as thick and messy as they were back then. 

Grade Eleven and Twelve were the years where I hardly wore makeup to school. Shocking, I know. I was so obsessed with everything makeup, but I also developed a new love for skincare. I started going into Lush and trying out all kinds of different face masks. I wore makeup on weekends and special occasions but I tried to let my skin breathe more when I didn’t think doing a full face of makeup was necessary. I wish I had known not to waste $50 on foundation for school and had just stuck to some kind of BB cream for everyday wear.

My beauty routine now and it has definitely been a process of trial and error in order to figure out what products work and what doesn’t. Although with the help of other beauty loving friends and gurus on YouTube, I think I have finally found products that work for me. 

Personally, I prefer a more natural look for my makeup. I stick to a light/medium coverage foundation, and I don’t go too crazy on the eyeshadow or bronzer. My skin is usually pretty fair and I only have a few pimples here and there, though I find my skin is more oily in the summer, and tends to be a lot drier during the winter. Still, no matter what you prefer your routine to look like, I’m sure some of these suggestions will be a helpful addition to your vanity.

The following are all the steps to my current skincare routine: 

Setting the mood

When starting my skincare routine, I like to be extra as hell. I usually put some lavender essential oil in my diffuser, light a candle, play some relaxing music, and dim the lights. If Queer Eye taught me one thing, it’s that self care is not selfish. Sometimes you just need to set the mood to be relaxed and calm, especially after a long day.

Cleanser

The first step in my skincare routine is always cleanser. I start off by washing my face with warm water and then pat it with a clean face towel, so that my face is a bit damp. Then I use the Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser Conditioning Face Wash ($11-$22), and then The Deep Cleanse Exfoliating Cleanser from Tatcha ($21-$49). Both of these products feel amazing on the skin. Plus they are very light and don’t have a very heavy scent, which I love. 

Toner

Toner is the second step in my skincare routine. The toner that I have is actually a dupe for the $60 Rose Deep Hydration Facial Toner from Fresh. The dupe, called British Rose Petal-Soft Gel Toner, can be found at The Body Shop for just $18. Using a cotton pad, I put some of the toner on my face. This toner is great for those with dry skin and instantly leaves the face feeling softer than before. Plus, there are actual rose petals in the gel.

Moisturizer

Moisturizer is the third step, and if I’m being honest, the mini or travel size moisturizers are my go-to. They last fairly long in my opinion and are a lot cheaper than the regular sized ones. I use three different types of moisturizers: the first is The Water Cream by Tatcha ($26-$89), Protini™ Polypeptide Moisturizer by Drunk Elephant  (which is a sample I actually got as a free birthday gift from Sephora; the actual one retails for $89), then the Boscia Cactus Water Moisturizer (which I bought in a gift set, but it actually retails for $50). I use a small amount and spread it around my face evenly. Each one of these products are really hydrating for the skin, especially when used to help prep the skin before applying makeup products.

Honourable mentions

I don’t usually use these skincare products everyday, but on some days I do and they are honestly amazing as well. 

Grease Lightning from Lush is an aloe and tea tree gel that mattifies and is great for clearing up blemishes for only $15.95.

The Luminizing Black Charcoal Mask from Boscia is perfect for a night in with your girlfriends. Grab a glass of wine and put these masks on. Let them sit and then peel them off! Find it at Sephora for $45.

Lush carries a scrub called Cup O’ Coffee that is great for a self care day. For only $11.95, this coffee scrub can be put all over your face and body.

Glossier has a serum called Futuredew that is a great finishing product for when you are done with your skincare routine. It leaves a glowy dewy finish to your skin and works as a good primer before your foundation for only $30.

The following are all the steps to my makeup routine:

Brows

Some people like to start with foundation first, which I still cannot wrap my head around, but this is the order that works best for me.

I fill in my eyebrows using the product that has stood by me for years, and that is the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Definer in the shade soft brown ($30). It allows me to get a sharp brow for a reasonable price. It lasts incredibly long and the formula is so natural and perfect. Once my brows are drawn on, I take the acclaimed Glossier Boy Brow ($20) and use it to keep my brows in place. The Boy Brow works wonders, in fact, sometimes I just use that and don’t fill in my eyebrows at all because it is able to make your eyebrows look so much fuller with a single swipe. It will change your life. Trust me. 

Eyelids

On days where I don’t really feel like putting on eyeshadow, I usually just add a bit of colour using the Glossier Lidstar in the shade Cub ($22). The product itself isn’t extremely pigmented unless you layer it on but I think it looks great to have some colour on the lids. The product is easy to apply since it is a liquid shadow and no brushes are needed. Just dab it on with your fingers.

Face

I’ve tried multiple beauty sponges, such as the Real Techniques sponge and the Beauty Blender, but to be honest, a sponge is a sponge. They all seem to work the exact same for me. I currently own the Morphe Highlight & Contour Beauty Sponge ($10). For coverage, I take my Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation ($55) and blend it all over my face. The formula is stunning and very light, leaving your skin looking natural and flawless.

Concealer and powder

Using that same sponge, I then apply the Sephora Collection Bright Future Gel Serum Concealer ($18.50) to my under eye, forehead, chin, and cupids bow and blend it in. I love the Sephora Collection concealer because the formula is very buildable and it is extremely affordable. I then take either a brush or my beauty sponge and apply the Marcelle Loose Setting Face Powder ($16.56) to the areas I concealed.

Contour, blush, and highlight

After my face is done baking, I take the Hoola Matte Bronzer from Benefit Cosmetics ($40) and apply it with a bronzer brush on my cheeks, jaw line, nose, and forehead. I then take the Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush ($38) for my cheek apples using a blush brush. Then a fan brush to apply my Fenty Beauty By Rihanna Killawatt Freestyle Highlighter ($48) on the bridge of my nose and cheek bones as well.

Finishing touches

I use the Benefit Cosmetics Roller Lash Curling & Lifting Mascara ($33) for a very natural but curled lash, and usually I prefer a lip gloss over lipstick. First things first, I use the Lush Honey lip scrub ($10.95) to remove any dry skin on my lips and then I take the Glossier mint flavoured Balm Dotcom ($15) to moisturize my lips. I then apply my favourite lip gloss which is the Jouer Cosmetics Long-Wear Lip Topper ($21.50) in the shade Rose Gold. 

Don’t forget to set your face! I set my face using the Mario Badescu Facial Spray ($10) to keep my skin feeling fresh and hydrated for the long day ahead of me. 

Now that you know all my tips and secrets, you’re ready to conquer the day and look fabulous while doing it too!

Sara Marsetti

Toronto MU '22

Sara Marsetti is a journalism student at Ryerson University who loves all things film, fashion, and lifestyle. If she's not watching something on Netflix, you'll probably find Sara drinking her iced coffee with oat milk, half sweet, from Starbucks while doing her homework, or exploring the beautiful city of Toronto with her best friends.
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.