This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

I think we could all use a bit more ~zen~ in our lives right now. Things are crazy, stressful and most of us have very high anxiety and overall increased stress levels. Totally normal— I’m with you. Throughout the majority of the pandemic, I’ve started incorporating meditation into my personal routine and let me just tell you…WOW. With frequent meditation I find myself being so much more present, overall more relaxed and less anxious throughout the day, as well as feeling so much more grateful for what is around me. It has really changed my perspective of life for the better.

Meditation is a life-changing experience. It can be very intimidating if you’re brand new to the concept, but it’s not that hard! Let’s get into why meditation is so beneficial and some easy ways to start adding it into your everyday life.

Why Meditation?

The benefits of daily meditation are almost endless. So many health and wellness books will tell you why, but let me simplify it for you:

• Reduces stress (Yes, please!)

• Can reduce anxiety

• Improves quality of sleep 

According to Healthline.com, some other amazing benefits of meditation include:

• Improves mood and overall attitude

• Can self-awareness

• Can generate kindness towards others

• Can decrease overall blood pressure, causing less stress

• Can even lead to increased memory and/or productivity throughout the day 

If that doesn’t convince you, I don’t know what will. Personally, I don’t meditate every single day although I want to get to that point soon. When I do meditate, I do it in the mornings. It sets up a positive, relaxed note for the day. I find myself going through my day much more open-minded, relaxed and feeling grateful for my life and those around me. If I feel anxious or stressed at one point, I’ll stop what i’m doing and take three to five minutes to do a mini-meditation with some deep breathing. It works like a charm and I’m instantly brought back to a state of relaxation.

Some of my favourite apps/individuals to help you get started with meditation are:

• Melissa Wood Health

• She’s a fitness/meditation guru— her site has a subscription for $9.99 per month, but there is a seven-day free trial!

• She offers endless pilates workouts and some incredible meditations that you can squeeze in any time of the day!

• Headspace

• An amazing app with thousands of different meditations— I love these to help me fall asleep.

• Such a great resources because you can meditate anytime, anywhere.

• Insight Timer

• Another amazing app with too many meditations to choose from, ranging from all different lengths— highly recommend it for the variety and convenience!

• YouTube

• YouTube is always a great option— just search for meditation and a ton show up!

• Linked here is one of my go-to’s when I’m feeling anxious!

Sasha Folgoas

Toronto MU '23

I was born and raised in Toronto. I have a passion for health and wellness, and spend most of my time focusing on school, friends, work and creating content for my own health and wellness blog + instagram! I love all things fashion and frequent Aritzia (maybe a little too much), but I love ballin on a budget, too! My goal is to help inspire other young women by opening up important conversations that can often be taboo!