The Magic of Christmas Featuring Our Favourite Traditions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Think about all the things that have changed from last Christmas to now. For one, you are a year older. You are also a year wiser, and maybe a couple inches taller. Or not. Regardless, when you start to reflect on the 364 days in between last Christmas and Christmas 2020, your mind is probably flooded with all the highs and lows the year has brought. Feelings of excitement and fear, joy and sadness, growth and failure, hope and despair.

But with all these changes, there is one constant at this time of year that keeps me and so many other people going, and that’s tradition.

It doesn’t matter if you’re five, 95 or somewhere in between; the magic of Christmas is undying. I still wake up with butterflies in my stomach on Christmas morning. In fact, the entire month of December can give you that feeling. Whether it’s watching people’s homes transform from haunted houses to winter wonderlands or listening to Christmas carols on your drive home from work, it’s a joyous time of year.

Notice I haven’t mentioned the gifts under the tree or the stuffers in your stocking? It’s not to say that unwrapping a new winter coat you have had your eye on is not special; gift-giving is definitely a big part of the season. But it’s the annual Christmas traditions, endless memories, and wonderful company that make this time of year so special.

Whether you have pre-existing traditions that have been passed on for generations, or you want to start making new ones with your loved ones, significant other, or best friends, here are 8 Christmas rituals that will have you waiting all year long for this time of year. Remember, it is all in the little things.

1. Nothing says Christmas like a Christmas movie marathon. The list of classic Christmas movies that never get old can have you snuggled up on the couch for an entire weekend… or month. Movies like Polar Express, Home Alone, Elf, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and How the Grinch Stole Christmas are just a few that are sure to get you in the Christmas spirit. Let’s not forget the Hallmark channel movies; as cheesy as they can be, I can guarantee these films will put a smile on your face.

2. Purchasing an advent calendar at Christmas is a perfect excuse for adding chocolate to your daily diet. If chocolate isn’t your thing, the advent calendar creators are sure to have something that is. The arrival of my dad’s beer advent calendar has him waiting at the door for the Amazon delivery man. This tradition is truly for people of all ages.

3. Gifts become that much more meaningful when there is a homemade touch. Since the year I was born, my grandmother has made myself and her three other grandchildren customized Christmas ornaments. Each ornament is unique, made with glitter, bows and love. This year will mark my 22nd ornament. Our Christmas tree is now a “Nonna Lori” tree, filled with 22 of my own ornaments, and 20 of my sisters. And what’s a Nonna Lori tree without Nonna Lori herself? We decorate the tree as a family, tell stories, and admire each passing year’s ornament.

4. Would the holidays` be the same without delicious homemade treats? Whether it’s decorating gingerbread men, making Pillsbury shortbread cookies, or trying a new recipe, baking for the holidays is the perfect homemade touch for parties and gift baskets. Most important of all, don’t forget to listen to your favourite Christmas jingles while doing it.

5. Calling on all fashionistas to spice up their Christmas season with an ugly Christmas sweater. Get your family and friends together to find out who’s the most creative. Think it’s hard to win a beauty pageant? Try being the ugliest!

6. The lovely sights of Christmas are matched by the wonderful scents of the holidays. Make your home a real winter wonderland by picking up a real tree and fill your house with the scent of pine and warmth. Don’t forget to add your favorite ornaments, lights, and a star on top for the picture perfect Christmas tree.

7. Kindness is never wasted; one of the best feelings in the world is to give back. Especially at this time of year, giving back to the community is a great way to make someone’s holiday extra special. Offering warm clothes to people who need it most, donating gently used toys to toy drives, or collecting non-perishable food items to provide to food banks are small gestures that go a long way. This is a great tradition to continue year after year.

8. My favourite Christmas tradition of all time is my family’s post-dinner game of Scattergories. With full stomachs, we put our game faces on for a competitive board game that starts with enthusiasm, continues with deafening arguments, and ends with belly laughs.

It’s not the physical gifts I receive year after year that I remember, but the  memories I make with loved ones while enjoying our favourite traditions. Rapping Justin Bieber’s Fa La La with my cousins, getting rowdy in our yearly Scattergories game and eating all the delicious treats we bake ourselves (with the help of the Pillsbury Dough boy, of course) are just some of the reasons Christmas is my favourite time of year.

Just trying to get something put up on the kitchen fridge. Combining my international business degree with my passion for journalism- stay tuned.
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.