Girl With Fringe Earings 1
Girl With Fringe Earings 1
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Style > Beauty

The Long History of Red Lipstick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

It’s psychologically proven that sporting a red lip boosts confidence. In a theory known as “The Lipstick Effect,” it was discovered that in times of stress and hardship, the sales of lipstick increases, as many are choosing to purchase lipstick rather than other luxury goods. Interestingly, according to Leonard Lauder, the chairman of makeup brand Estee Lauder, the sales of lipstick soared during WWII and after the 9/11 attacks in the USA.

Red lipstick has had a long and tumultuous history to become the colour that women and men can feel confident wearing today. Although if one thing is clear, it’s that powerful women have been rocking this bold lip for thousands of years, despite social repercussions. This timeline tells of the evolution of red lipstick through the ages into what it is today.

For a full run-down on the history, click here for this interactive timeline.

Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.