This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

There is nothing more important than learning to accept and love yourself wholeheartedly. Many people tend to dismantle how crucial this is when it comes to their mental health. Once you finally focus and work on embracing the person you are and the person you are growing into, you will be able to let go of the toxicity and negativity you constantly keep weighing on yourself.

Social media is probably the worst thing to use when you are feeling low. The levels of toxicity that are in these types of apps will only bring you down rather than allowing yourself to truly love and embrace who you are. The main thing people tend to forget when using social media is how fake it can be. Instead of genuinely using these applications as a way to spread love and happiness, social media has caused many people to hate and deter themselves due to the comparisons they make with people they see online. 

Not everything you see on social media is real, for starters, most of it is made up of silly filters and effects. What do you gain by comparing yourself to others? The amount of time you waste doing so can be the time you put into accepting and loving the person you are. What many people fail to remember is that everyone was born with different quirks and features that make them who they are. That is why we have to take a moment and think: Why am I wasting so much time hating myself when I could be admiring the beauty I have that no one else does?

Many people complain about their looks, pining over someone else’s appearance. It is a cycle of never being content with ourselves and accepting who we are. The minute we start loving ourselves is the minute we truly start enjoying our lives.

It is okay to feel insecure at times – it is a part of life. But it is important not to make it a recurring feeling. Rather than letting our insecurities become a routine, we should find different ways to embrace and admire ourselves every day. One of the ways we can achieve this is by complimenting ourselves daily. Waking up and journaling is also a great way to encourage positive thinking and self-love. Another practice is setting reminders, whether they be on our wall, mirror or phone, reminding us just of how beautiful and worthy we are.

Life is too short to compare ourselves to others, and life is even shorter to spend it hating ourselves. By taking these practices to heart, it will be easier to love ourselves and all our quirks. Of course, all of this is easier said than done, but that one switch in our brain from negative to positive thoughts is the first step in achieving self-love.

Krishika Jethani

Toronto MU '23

Hi! My name is Krishika and I am a student at Toronto Metropolitan University. I am currently in the Creative Industries program studying Fashion and Journalism. I have a passion for writing and dream to someday become a journalist. I enjoy singing and watching Gilmore Girls in my free time! <3