This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

During quarantine, I found myself learning about Korean skincare as a way to help myself (and my skin!) get through the turbulent times. I fell in love with Korean skincare products for their luxurious ingredients that left my skin feeling happy and looking glowy. One of my favourite features of Korean skincare is the affordable prices. No longer were the days when skincare was too expensive for me. While trying to figure out what products would work best in my routine, I noticed that Korean skincare products were more reasonably priced in comparison to Western skincare products with similar ingredients. Here is a small list of popular Western skincare products and their Korean skincare dupes based on ingredients!

Product: Farmacy Honey Drop Lightweight Moisturizer: $59 

K-Beauty Dupe: Etude House One Day Drop Real Hyaluronic Ampoule: $18  

Could you imagine getting all of the moisture you crave from cream in a lightweight, liquid formula? That is an ampoule for you! Perfect for dry and sensitive skin, this ampoule is packed with hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid and includes antioxidants such as aloe! Use this in addition to your favourite cream and your moisture will be locked in for the whole day!

Product: Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Stress Rescue Super Serum with Niacinamide $96

K-Beauty Dupe: Time Revolution Night Repair Probio Ampoule $41

While this ampoule is still at a luxury price for most, this product is incredibly popular amongst Korean skincare lovers because of the amazing results that come from using it. This product contains fermented extracts, which help enhance the absorbency rate of your skincare products. Additionally, fermented extracts are known as “skin-loving” ingredients due to the high amount of antioxidants that they contain.

Product: Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant  $39.40 + additional shipping fees

K-Beauty Dupe: COSRX BHA Power Liquid $30

During my skincare journey I have learned that it is always better to opt for chemical exfoliants over physical ones. Beta Hydroxy Acids, otherwise known as BHA’s, are a popular anti-acne ingredient that goes deep into your pores to remove excess sebum and oil. Chemical exfoliants should only be used a few times a week and should be followed up with a hydrating moisturizer and sunscreen, if you are using this exfoliant during the day. While these two products are formed with different types of BHA’s, the COSRX Power Liquid will give you similar results to the costly Paula’s Choice exfoliator. 

Both Korean and American skincare products are amazing in their own ways but vary in price, ingredients, and trends. For example, the double-cleansing trend originated in Korea and has gained popularity in North America only recently.  Are you interested in Korean skincare and don’t know where to start finding information? This article goes over tips and tricks to begin your Korean skincare journey. For those of you who are more advanced in your journey, this guide to the 10 step Korean skincare method is a great read!

Selina Lafarciola

Toronto MU '21

Selina (she/her/hers) is a fourth-year student at Ryerson University, where she is currently earning her B.A. Honours in English. Her pastimes include writing, finding new music, ethical fashion, and skincare. She is excited to begin her journey as a published writer at Her Campus!
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.