This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As a writer, many thoughts are always circling my mind. It often feels like chaos rather than constructive thinking. There are thoughts where I am questioning my career, my relationships and my existence! My friend introduced me to journaling, more specifically journal prompts — a series of questions for a little more clarity.

I am a girl who has had a lot of thoughts. Journaling became my way of questioning those thoughts and answering them, almost like a free therapy session between me and my journal. Over the years I developed a habit of journaling and writing whatever thoughts I felt. Through this constant practice, I was able to find myself and grasp control of my mind when it decides to go on a whirl. 

Here are some questions when you are feeling lost and in desperate need of answers. 

Self-discovery journal prompts:

1. Write things you need to forgive about yourself.

2. Write down reasons why you have faith in yourself.

3. Write a letter to your anxious thoughts.

4. What is draining your energy?

5. What mistakes did you make and how did you learn from them?

Career journal prompts:

1. What was your dream job when you were a kid?

2. What do you enjoy doing the most?

3. Think of a career that you are most inclined to, does it excite you?

4. Make a list of different hobbies that you enjoyed as a kid/ teen.

5. Think of different ways each of your childhood hobbies could become a career.

Relationship journal prompts: 

1. What does being in a relationship mean to you?

2. What qualities do you look for in a person?

3. How did you imagine your ideal relationship as a child? (Yes, fictional characters are to be included)

4. How does being in a relationship make you happy?

5. Are you mentally and physically ready for a relationship?

6. Think of your most healthy relationship and write the things you learnt from it.

7. Think of your most unhealthy relationship and write what you learnt from it.

The last two questions helped me understand how I changed after having both of those experiences. These will help you gain a better understanding of your past relationships, in terms of mistakes, heartbreak and happiness. This will eventually help you in your future relationships.

The first few days may be inconsistent and answering these questions may not be easy. However, these questions gave me the answers that I needed to hear vs. what I wanted to hear. I can do what I love doing because of this and most importantly, love myself and others with the same energy. 

Ishitaa Chopra is an author, writer, poet and model. She is a mental-health activist and enjoys computer programming. She is also a self-proclaimed Marvel enthusiast. She spends most of her time binging TV shows.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.