Introducing Sarah Do Couto

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

By Alexia Del Priore

Sarah is a second-year journalism student at Ryerson University. She moved from Hamilton to Toronto last year when starting university. Sarah admits that it was a bit scary moving to a big city where she didn’t know anyone, but she made friends quickly and now wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

Why do you like to write?

I’ve always loved writing since I was young. I used to write little stories all the time for my mom and dad to read. As I got older, that passion only grew. In a lot of my spare time, I would write stories about whatever I could. In high school, when I started seriously considering what I wanted to study, journalism just felt like the natural choice. There’s nothing I’d rather do than tell stories for the rest of my life.

Why did you decide to join HC?

Last year, I’d been reading articles from Her Campus, although I didn’t have a chance to join. I loved the idea of a group of women writing about what they feel is important and sharing it with the world.

Besides writing, what are your other hobbies/interests?

I’m a total theatre nerd. I’ve been doing plays and musicals since I was 8 years-old. I always loved being on stage and I still do. Right now, I’m in the Ryerson Musical Theatre Company’s production of “Into The Woods” as Little Red Riding Hood. Music and acting have always been a passion, along with writing.

You recently just wrote an article discussing your battle with neurological condition, Chiari. Was that something that was difficult for you to write?

Yeah, for sure. Writing that article was really difficult for me. I struggled to find a way to tell such a personal story without making it seem cheesy or lame. I probably wrote it about five times before finally deciding on what I liked. I was so nervous to have it posted, but once it was, I was so excited to share it with all of my friends and family.

What have you learned from having to brave this at such a young age?

I’m not going to lie, it was hard at first. It was difficult when my symptoms first started. I spent a long time trying to learn how to hide my pain when I was in public. Honestly though, it’s not something you really think about. You don’t think you’re being brave, per se, it’s just your life.

What is something you have learned (about yourself, etc) going through this diagnosis and then intensive surgeries?

I learned that I’m not as soft as I think I am. It’s amazing just how much you can actually take. There were times when I was sure I had enough. I was tired of being sick and tired of having to get treatment, but when I was finally able to pull through after my last surgery, the results were fantastic. I had never felt so great in my life. It was the start of a new chapter in my life.

What is something/someone that inspires you?

There’s a book I just read called Brain On Fire by Susannah Cahalan. She’s a New York Post journalist who had a medical crisis in her early 20s where her whole life changed. Her story completely inspired me and moved me to tears. She’s an incredibly strong woman who I look up to greatly. I strive to be as confident and strong as she is.

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.