Style

How to steal Lara Jean’s style from ‘To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before’ on a student budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

By Shayna Nicolay

Since August the internet has been buzzing about the rom-com To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before and I don’t blame them. The movie is simply charming, from Lara Jean and Peter’s love story to every single piece of clothing LJ wears. When I wasn’t preoccupied with fawning over Covinsky (and trying to figure out how to get someone on board for a similar happily ever after) I was admiring Lara Jean’s outfits, only hoping I would maybe be able to find something similar for a decent price. After all, I refuse to dig into my food fund.

Here are some of her most iconic looks that won’t leave you eating ramen noodles for two weeks in order to replicate.

1. Flying through the 90’s

This striped sweater and jean skirt give the perfect 90’s vibe to any day. This button up jean skirt from Charlotte Russe ($15.99) adds to the 90’s inspo with the acid wash detail. Pair it with this striped sweater from Forever 21 ($24.90) and these sunglasses from The Black Market ($10.00) and you’re basically a Covey sister.

2. That Velvet Skirt

This outfit is the perfect mix between comfy casual and trendy. This plain pink t-shirt from H&M ($7.99) tucked into a knee length pink velvet skirt from Forever21($30.90) is a simple chic outfit perfect for a warm fall day. A black choker from The Black Market ($3.00) completes your LJ look. Did someone say ski trip?

Read more: Are rom-coms making a comeback?

3. The Pink Pick Up

This look is simple and sleek. The pink blazer adds a feminine touch to an otherwise monotone outfit. This blush boyfriend style blazer from Dynamite ($30.00) will make you feel like a boss. Match the blazer with this simple grey t-shirt ($6.99) and these black skinny jeans ($12.99) from H&M. Touch it off with this black crochet choker ($3.99) from Forever21.

4. Diner Dream

This chic outfit can be replicated with this white long sleeve from Asos ($12.62) and gold heart locket ($6.90) from Forever21. Add a pop of colour with Forever21’s red mini skirt ($24.90) and you have yourself a look that will give you the confidence to tell Peter Kavinsky that you’re not trying to date him. Bold statement Lara Jean, bold statement.

5. She’s the bomb

If you try and tell me that you don’t want to get your hands on this adorable baby blue bomber jacket, you’re definitely lying. Luckily, Forever21 has a similar baby blue bomber jacket for sale right now ($20.00). If that jacket isn’t enough to make you feel like you were born to be Lara Jean, you can replicate the rest of this look with this collared dress from BooHoo ($22.50) and this cute yellow purse from H&M ($19.99).

Whether you wear these items together to recreate one of LJ’s iconic looks or pick a few statement pieces to add to your own personal style, Lara Jean’s fashion sense has something that anyone can fall in love with.

Shay Nicolay

Toronto MU '22

Shayna Nicolay has been a Her Campus National Writer since January 2023. She writes bi-weekly articles as well as covering timely content. She graduated from Toronto Metropolitan University in 2022, where she majored in journalism with a minor in graphic communications. Shayna was a contributing writer for her University's Chapter of Her Campus, and was the Editor-in-Chief of her University magazine, Folio. She also was the editorial intern for fashion content creator, Audree Kate Lopez, where she hired and managed a group of writers, ran the WordPress website, wrote and edited articles, and helped with social media copy. Shayna loves walks in nature, bingeing the newest TV show, beading jewelry, and is a mental health advocate. She loves storytelling and media, so content creation comes naturally to her. For the best memes, mental health tips, and bisexual visibility, follow Shayna @shaynicolay on Instagram and @shaynanicolay on TikTok.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.