How to Party Safely

By: Neha Kanna

University life brings so many firsts and new experiences, and many students are eager to try it all right away. As exciting as it is to experiment with alcohol and drugs at parties or start new relationships, safety should be your priority.

Here are a few things to keep in mind on your next night out: 

1. 1. Travel in groups

To start off, it’s usually best to go in a group of friends to a club or party. This is also a safe way to travel to and from locations, particularly when it’s late at night.  Always make sure you have everyone’s contact information and decide on a meeting place so you can all leave together. Often, people get split up when they go into a frat or club, or sometimes even get stuck outside, so creating a meeting place can prevent you from having to find a way home alone. Similarly, the buddy system is well known and is certainly effective, even if you’re just going to the bathroom.

2. 2. Getting home safely

Try to plan ahead to ensure you have a safe, reliable way to get home after an outing. If you take public transit, check the schedules so you can catch the bus or subway at the right time. If you’re on campus, call security to walk you home or to the subway. Holding keys in your hand, or a heavy metal water bottle, can be used as self-defence objects if needed when you’re walking.  Take out headphones and always be alert. Know your surroundings. Don’t take any chances by travelling alone at night, especially if you’re under the influence. It may cost more, but calling an Uber is another way to take precautions and be safe rather than sorry.

3. 3. Drugs and alcohol

If you’ve never had any kind of alcohol or drugs before, don’t try it when you’re at a frat or party where you don’t know anyone. Chances are, if you’re trying weed for the first time, you might not really feel the effects as you don’t know how much you need to get high. If some random guy at a party offers you a hit, it’s probably best not to try it since you don’t know where it’s from or if it’s laced. Even drinking can get out of hand quickly, so if you aren’t much of a drinker, remember to pace yourself, drink water and also eat so you aren’t drinking on an empty stomach. At clubs or frats, never leave your drink unattended, as someone could slip something into it or it could get mixed up with another drink. Ask someone you trust to watch it or just leave it if you can’t keep your eyes on it. These rules may be basic but are important to remember so you can stay safe while having a good time. 

4. 4. Relationships

We often hear stories about how so-and-so kissed someone or hooked up with someone else, and sometimes in these party situations, things can get out of control. Always be aware of who is around you, and be careful with how much you drink or smoke so you don’t put yourself in a situation where you could be taken advantage of. Stick with your friends to avoid getting put in a spot alone with someone. And if you’re playing games like truth or dare, draw the line if you feel uncomfortable with something.

5. 5. Peer pressure

A common place for peer pressure is at parties. It can be hard to say no to a drink or a dare in a big group of people, but you need to know your limits and when to say no. Try to hang out with people that you know have your best interests at heart or use the buddy system to have someone who’ll help stand up for yourself. Get out of a situation before things get bad. Recognize signs of negativity or irritation among other people and get out of there before things escalate, or perhaps get violent. If you ever feel uncomfortable participating in something, say no or perhaps don’t participate in the first place. Just because everyone does something, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the right thing to do.

To conclude, partying and new experiences are always fun but can be dangerous if you aren’t aware or in control of your actions. Keep these tips in mind, and surround yourself with people who you trust and can rely on when you need help.