This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

TikTok – What was once nothing but a simple two-syllable onomatopoeia has now become a defining cultural element of not one, but two generations. I am referring to, of course, the 2009 masterpiece which catapulted Kesha’s career as it echoed through the hallways of every middle school in North America, and the current social media app which has completely demolished our long-term attention span and is taking the world by storm. TikTok.

Though both are equally influential in their own right, let’s talk about the one we all spend hours of our valuable time on every day. It’s easy to get stuck in a pattern of going from one app to another, but sometimes, it’s the only thing to distract you from the stresses of day-to-day life. 

Although you shouldn’t feel guilty about spending some time on social media, there are ways to help you feel more fulfilled when you do decide to scroll through your ForYou page. 

I’m sure you’ve all heard the tricks and tips on how to healthily consume internet content: unfollow accounts that make you feel bad about yourself, or accounts that portray an unrealistic and unhealthy lifestyle or beauty standard. Though these all apply to TikTok as well, we are going to get a little more specific today. 

The beauty of TikTok is that there is something for absolutely everyone, and I mean everyone; sometimes I’m convinced the algorithm is written by my FBI agent. There are so many motivational, informative, and educational creators on the app, following them can help make your social media consumption a little more gainful. 

Here are some TikTok creators I’ve found which offer a set of expertise, skills, or motivation in different areas: 

Education: 

@mistercapehart – This creator is a 7th-grade teacher who has dedicated his page to speaking out and educating his followers about racial injustices that take place in our society. 

@asapscience – These creators offer scientific information in quick, easy-to-understand videos. They cover just about everything from biology to earth and space science, if you’re looking for quick fun-facts about the world, check them out!

@hankgreen – If you’ve ever had a question about anything, Hank Green has probably made a TikTok about it. His content covers everything from science to math and current affairs. 

Business: 

@bylindsayalbanese – Lindsay Albanese is an all-around motivational content creator, but focuses on tips about starting your own business. She is the founder of TOPTOTE and has some helpful insider scoop on the small-business world.  

Beauty & Skincare:

@allyoucanface – This account focuses on the benefits of ‘Face-yoga’ and how different facial exercises and massages can help improve the appearance of your skin. These exercises include ways to help with muscle and jaw tension, puffiness and wrinkles.  

@draco.dez – For those of you with curly hair, you should check out Draco Dez’s TikTok for different product recommendations, haircare and makeup tips and just all-around fun content. 

Health & Fitness:

@doctorhanson – Josh Hanson is a Doctor of Acupuncture and his content is dedicated to creating short helpful videos on how to safely ease different pains, and where they may be originating. He focuses on pain, arthritis, fertility, and other chronic conditions. If you have any health concerns, please contact a professional, TikTok does not replace expert care.

@nutritionbabe – This TikTok page is run by a nutrition expert, and offers a variety of healthy recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and just about everything in between. 

@ryanreadthrive – Ryan Read is a fitness trainer whose content teaches correct form when exercising, effective at-home routines, and tips on how to overcome gym anxiety.

Mental Health & Meditation:

@matthiasjbarker – TW this content covers various forms of trauma. Matthias Barker is a psychotherapist, and his content is soothing and eye-opening. He provides insightful information about different types of trauma and relationships. This is not meant to replace therapy, if you are struggling, please seek professional guidance. 

Other: 

@jollyhohnsonart – For all you graphic designers, or anyone wanting to learn more about it, this account shows quick tutorials on how to make different edits on Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator!

@onegreatvegan – Are you a vegan looking for new recipes to try? This vegan chef shares mouthwatering recipes you should definitely check out. 

@impactforgood_ – Jessica Clifton offers sustainable alternatives to everyday products, showcases easy-to-find sustainable brands, and shares her experience with different products. 

*All creators mentioned above do not replace professional help, if you are looking for specialized advice or guidance, please seek expert opinions. 

Negin Khodayari

Toronto MU '22

Born and raised in Toronto, Ontario, Negin Khodayari has always had a passion for all things culture and entertainment. Growing up she spent hours practicing her interviewing skills in the mirror of her bedroom, and fantasizing about one day having her own talk show. Today, Negin is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University, working to make those dreams a reality.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.