This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As a kid, did you ever participate in your local library’s summer reading program? I did – partially because my dad wanted my brother and I to read over the summer since he thought our minds would turn to mush otherwise, but also because I loved reading. I remember being proud to say that I graduated from reading picture books to chapter books. I read fast and furiously and felt a triumphant feeling each time I finished a book.

My relationship with reading has differed over the years. The initial excitement of learning how to read and reading in a frenzy eventually dulled. I slowly began to distance myself from reading for fun as I got older. 

This burnout began in Grade 7 and only got worse. By the time I entered high school, reading for fun was a strange idea. I had no choice but to read Shakespeare each year (as most high school students had to do) and other novels that my teachers would pick for book clubs. Reading became more of a chore that I complete for school.

It took some time before I quit my reading hiatus. I used to think I was too busy to sit and read – oh, how I laugh at the thought of thinking I was “too busy” years before I entered university. This past summer was different for me. The job I was employed at had me working a lot of early mornings and I would finish by the early afternoon. Most of my friends started their jobs in the early afternoon and had the morning off instead. In other words, I had days where I had plenty of time on my hands with nobody to spend it with. Instead of wasting a nice day, I implored myself to find some activities to do alone. 

I started with visiting our local mall. I wasn’t interested in buying things as much as I was the mall being an air conditioned place to walk. That’s when I began meandering around Indigo. Reflecting on this, I can’t believe I didn’t think to do so sooner. I was back in the company of books again. I dug up my plum rewards points and used them on a few novels to get me started. It was like riding a bike. I read the first novel in less than a week and soon I was onto the next one, then the next one, and the next one after that. 

I had forgotten how books helped take my mind off things that bothered me. My worries, fears, and stress seemed to disappear when I was transported into whichever world I was reading about. A study done by Sleep Advisor found that only six minutes of reading a book, no matter the genre, can reduce stress up to 68 per cent. I began to read in my backyard, at a park by the lake, and before bed. It helped me fall asleep faster and I felt as though my mind was more at ease. 

I noticed how the more I read, the more I appreciate lovely writing as well. I developed a new perspective on how skillfully an author can hook the reader and keep them coming back. It amazes me how authors can spin these worlds and develop characters right from their own imaginations. It’s like I had a crush on reading all over again, however this time, I admired it for new reasons.

After my plum points began to dwindle, I found another way to get my hands on some good books. Second-hand bookstores are the real MVPs here. Perfectly fine books, some old and some new, were all available at a few of the book stores in Burlington. There were books from the 1960’s all the way to the present day. It was nice to not only save some money but also support local businesses in my area. I also can’t talk about finding books without mentioning libraries, or else my dad, who worked as his school’s librarian, would scream. 

This past semester, I had to take an open elective. Instead of my usual sociology or history class, I was drawn to an English class called, “The Novel.” During the course, we did in fact study novels. It may sound like a total snooze fest but I loved it. The professor had us read a total of six novels, all varying in theme, time periods, styles, and authors. It all began with Robinson Crusoe, a novel my grandma remembers reading as a kid. I was exposed to Jane Eyre for the first time and learned to appreciate point-of-views in writing as well as narrative authority. Three novels in particular that made an impression on me were Parable of the Sower, All The Broken Things, and On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous. I read On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous in less than 24 hours and craved more from author Ocean Vuong. Some may look at this course’s reading list as a long, daunting feat but I welcomed what it taught me. Now I’ll be keeping an eye out for English electives. 

So if someone gives you a book as a gift, don’t shrug it off and let it collect dust on your shelf. Open it up, introduce yourself, and maybe it will introduce you to something you forgot you enjoyed.

Claire Bradbury

Toronto MU '21

Claire is in her third year of journalism at Ryerson and seems to be sort of on track to finding her niche in writing. She likes hanging out with her friends, trying new recipes for dinner and never feeling guilty about how much chocolate she eats. You can catch her up in the 500 level at the Rogers Centre with her Blue Jays shirt on, cheering for her favourite baseball team and raving about Bo Bichette’s hair.
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.