How COVID-19 has Contributed to Environmental Waste

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Life as we knew took a turn this past year, with face masks becoming an essential part of our daily routines. As new safety protocols are being enforced to help minimize the spread of COVID-19, millions of bright blue disposable face masks are being worn on the street everyday. Although these face masks are critical to help users reduce exposure to contagious particles in the air, incorrect disposal of these one-time-use face masks have significantly contributed to environmental waste. 

Aside from disposable masks, the production of single-use personal protection equipment has drastically surged due to the pandemic. Recent studies that have focused on the effect of this waste on the environment estimate an average of 129 billion face masks and 65 billion gloves are being used each month around the world. This number may seem impossible to comprehend at first glance, but it’s not too late to take small steps in reducing your waste while still protecting yourself from COVID-19.

Buy a reusable face mask

Reusable face masks are now being sold around most cities in stores and online. Many of these face masks can be found in creative fabric patterns and designs, while providing the necessary non-medical face covering. As well, many masks include a pocket to insert an air filter to create even more protection.

Make your own reusable face mask

Note: DIY masks are not as effective against the virus as CDC approved face masks. Use at your own risk.

With quarantine bringing out the inner artist in everyone, why not get crafty and DIY a face mask! These masks can be catered to your own personal style and preference while being completely one of a kind! Follow this link to view a pattern from craftspassion.com which features in-depth face mask pattern templates and instructions.

Re-wear your disposable face mask

What many may not know is that disposable face masks can be reused and re-worn if the user is participating in activities in an area with a low prevalence of COVID-19 and the overall condition of the mask is kept in good shape. CBC and Narayana Health recommend that when removing the mask for storage, users should make sure not to touch the outer lining of the mask and carefully fold it in half and place in a paper or plastic bag and leave it for at least three days.

In situations where the use of a disposable face mask is necessary, cutting off the elastic straps prior to throwing it in the garbage will help prevent the risk of the straps getting caught and stuck on wildlife. 

As face masks become a part of our “new normal” let us work together to reduce our waste as much as possible in order to contribute to a clean and happy Mother Earth.  

Madeleine Law

Toronto MU '22

Madeleine is a 4th-year student in the Creative Industries program. She has loved being a part of the HerCampus Ryerson team, sharing her love for design, lifestyle and culture through her articles. In her free time she can be found doodling, scrolling through Pinterest or running around with her 4 dogs.
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.