This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

By Sarah Patriarca

Everyone can agree that being a student is hard. Whether it be cramming for assignments and last minute studying, working hard at a job, or a stressful personal life, I have found that meditation has always been helpful in keeping a steady calm through my head.

In saying this, meditation is not for everyone! It took me awhile to actually find the time to start meditating and figure out a routine that works best for me. However, I know a lot of people that feel meditation does not help them calm down, in fact, I’ve heard many people say they feel as though they cannot take it seriously and cannot escape their thoughts.

I must admit in the beginning I found it very hard to not think and just leave every thought behind. If you are feeling like meditation might work for you, here are some tips and a guide that might help you start and become comfortable!

What led me to meditation was the idea of meditation within yoga. Many people swear by the fundamentals of yoga. Trying yoga was brought to my attention by my doctor when we discussed ways in which to handle my stress with school and my personal life.

The first time I went to yoga I went with a friend that had been going for years, just to make myself feel comfortable. A yoga session starts off with silence usually with the person lying down on the floor to try to balance out their energy and reach that calm before the class starts. Then the instructor brings you through a guided practice, that goes through the many yoga poses whilst also telling you to breathe.

By the end of the class, I felt refreshed, calm and energetic. I went in with a clouded mind and came out with zero thoughts! When you feel more comfortable after some classes, I would try hot yoga. With hot yoga you really get a work out and it’s really good for releasing bad toxins from your body because you sweat everything out!

Now, if you feel like yoga hasn’t worked for you in the past, or you feel like your schedule has just become too hectic, especially around exam season, there are other alternatives. I have definitely felt this semester I could not do anything, especially with work and school. However, I am a firm believer that taking five minutes out of your day to centre yourself and do something for you is much needed during stressful times.

I have found that meditating before bed or when you wake up – just on the floor beside your bed – can really help. Taking those five extra minutes to breathe in and out is really effective. I specifically like to do it before bed. I sit on the floor, cross my legs and really focus on my breathing. After having a rough or busy day, you can sit there on the floor, self-reflect and prepare for sleep. For people that have trouble sleeping, this can be really helpful! I know when I can’t sleep it is usually because of certain thoughts that race through my head. Meditating before bed will allow you to clear your thoughts and remind yourself that tomorrow is a new day.

If you feel like you cannot meditate on your own, and cannot go to a yoga class to see an instructor, there are other alternatives. In this world of technology, there are apps on our phones that are actually used for meditation. The two that I have found to be helpful and were rated the best are called The Mindfulness App and Headspace. Both apps are free with a trial; the only time you pay is if you want a premium package. The Mindfulness App takes you through guided meditations throughout the week and reminds you when you need to relax throughout the day. It also can integrate with other health apps to improve your health. Headspace is an app for people just starting meditation. It comes with 10 free exercises and allows you to track how well you are doing throughout the day. These apps are the better option if you are tight on money for yoga classes and if you need help first starting out.

The last option and most fun option in my opinion is just decompressing with a hot bath, a glass of wine and guided meditation from a YouTube video. If you do not feel like getting an app, there are multiple YouTube videos that have guided meditation for sleeping, breathing and relieving stress. If you feel comfortable with someone speaking to you with calming music in the background than this might be for you. Take it a step further when you feel a little bit more comfortable to branch out on your own and just put calming music without the guided meditation. As well, for your bath you can use bubble baths that have soap and oils that help you to calm down. Just sit back and relax, enjoy your wine with some music.

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.