Style > Beauty

Glycolic Acid is For More Than Just Your Face

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Chemical exfoliants (AHA, BHA and PHA) have begun to find their rightful place in skincare routines. These exfoliants help to shed dead skin cells, fade pigmentation and bring breakouts up to the skin’s surface

One particularly popular chemical exfoliant is the Glycolic Acid 7% Exfoliating Toning Solution from The Ordinary. This toner is not only affordable, but I’ve found that it’s extremely effective at combating dark spots. However, it has many more uses than just what it has been advertised for. While I had begun using this glycolic acid for facial purposes, my repurchases are due in part to its other functions. 

Armpits

My favourite way to use glycolic acid now is right on dry armpits after a shower. While deodorant covers up the smell of sweat, glycolic acid lowers the pH levels in your armpits, making it difficult for odour-causing bacteria to survive. Although you’ll still perspire, you won’t have to worry about the scent that follows.

Scalp

Just as it sheds dead skin cells off your face, this toner can do the same with your dry and flaky scalp. Squirt the solution on your scalp and allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before washing your hair. Beyond exfoliation and minimizing build-up, glycolic acid can also lead to a more moisturized scalp by increasing its natural production of hyaluronic acid. Limit your use to one or two times a month to avoid over-exfoliation which can lead to an even drier scalp.

Feet

Glycolic acid can also get your feet summertime-ready by achieving softer heels. Apply the solution to any dry or cracked areas on the bottoms of your feet followed by lotion. The glycolic acid will assist in shedding those skin cells so that you don’t need to overwork your pumice stone. Limit your use to once a week.

Elbows/Knees

Of course, glycolic acid will help to combat dry elbows/knees but it will also assist in lightening dark discolouration on them. Make sure to follow up with a moisturizer to keep them hydrated. Limit your use to once a week.

While glycolic acid is an effective tool, it must also be used with caution. Always patch test the solution to make sure that it won’t irritate your skin. Additionally, glycolic acid and other chemical exfoliants will make your skin more sensitive to the sun and thus, prone to sunburns. Be sure to keep those areas covered by a hat, clothing or sunscreen to ensure that this product will help your skin and not harm it. 

Maria Couto

Toronto MU '22

English major | Skin care enthusiast | Carrie Bradshaw wannabe