Four Beginner-Friendly, Relaxing Video Games to Get You Through Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Many people shy away from video games because of the association they carry. Maybe when you first hear those words, you think of hyper-competitive shooter games, with high skill gaps and toxic teammates, or complex battle games with too many mechanics to memorize.Sure, this is one aspect, but video games are for everyone, and exploring different genres will unveil so many hidden gems out there that it’s almost impossible to not find something perfect for you. So, here’s a list of four video games that anyone could fall in love with, and all the information you need to get started. 

Stardew Valley [PC, Mac, iOS, Android, Switch, XBox, PlayStation, and more!]

The game that inspired this list, Stardew Valley is probably the most adorable game of all time. You play as an overworked employee of the business conglomerate Joja who one day decides they’ve had enough of the corporate lifestyle, choosing to quit their job and take over their late grandfather’s farm in a small town called Stardew Valley. There, you can get to know the vibrant townspeople, find a spouse, decorate your house, sow crops, take care of animals, mine, travel, and more, all while uncovering the many (sometimes magical) hidden secrets in the game. This game is addictive, and it’s the perfect candidate to become your second life as you’re once again trapped in your house. If you’re going to try any game on this list, this should be the first.

OneShot [PC & Mac]

OneShot is an RPG (role-playing game) with beautiful game design and an even more beautiful story. You control Niko, who has woken up in a strange world that needs your help! You must restore the sun to its proper place so the planet can thrive once again. You’ll make friends, solve puzzles, and listen to beautiful music in this underrated gem. An interesting point is that Niko will talk to you specifically, and the many fourth wall breaking moments are super interesting and fun for beginner and seasoned gamers alike. 

Minecraft [PC, Mac, iOS, Android, Switch, XBox, PlayStation, and more!]

Minecraft is definitely a game that needs no introduction, but let me just say, it is great for beginners and offers a super customizable experience. Not only do the optional additions of shaders (which improve game textures and lighting) and various mods let you give the game your ideal aesthetic, but the built in cheat commands, difficulty scaling, and differing game modes let you go from fighting a bunch of creepy monsters to peacefully planting flowers and building your dream house with unlimited materials in a matter of seconds. Plus, it’s everywhere and on every console, and there’s no way you’ll ever be short a friend to play with. 

Animal Crossing: New Leaf [3DS]

Animal Crossing: New Leaf takes the last spot on the list only because it is likely most difficult to access. Only available (… legally) on the Nintendo 3DS, this option is really only viable if you still have your handheld leftover from your younger years. Even with this obstacle, it deserves a spot on this list for its amazing gameplay. Not to be confused with Animal Crossing: New Horizons, the Switch title that released last March to wild success, its predecessor New Leaf trades off high definition graphics for a much more involved story and many more activities to do. The cute animal villagers have fun personalities, there’s no shortage of quirky NPCs (non-playable characters) for you to meet and amazing places to visit. It’s not too complicated, but it provides just enough opportunities for customization and self-expression that it’s definitely worth a shot if you can get your hands on the hardware. Plus, it has one of the nicest gaming communities in the real world!

These four games have amazing concepts, but are also open-ended enough for anyone to make their own adventure and find something about them they love. Give one a shot!

Olivia Grummish

Toronto MU '24

I'm Olive-- an English student at Ryerson University in Toronto. I spend a lot of time playing video games, listening to too much Taylor Swift, and harassing my friends about letting me edit all their papers.
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.