This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

When you’re essentially doing everything from home, the daylight hours can feel like they’re all blurring together and it’s almost impossible to keep track of time. The days turn into weeks, and your screen time just keeps adding up.

Having a good morning routine is fundamental to setting up your entire day for success. Taking time to yourself in the morning before you think of all the things you have to do that day will give your brain time to relax before the stress kicks in. My morning routine has kept me sane throughout quarantine (on most days).

Here are the five elements of my morning routine:

No phone

I strongly recommend keeping your phone outside your bedroom, so you aren’t tempted to look at it as soon as you wake up. With school being online, your brain doesn’t need the extra time spent looking at a screen.

Drink tons of water

This is probably everyone’s number one wellness tip, but it really is beneficial. I try to drink two large glasses of water as soon as I wake up.

Do something reflective

This can be reading, writing, or even meditating. It doesn’t have to be long, just five minutes is enough. I find just reading a few pages or writing in my journal usually sets me up for a productive day.

Move your body

Working out in the morning, even if it’s just for ten minutes, is a great way to start the day. I personally love both yoga and running, but even going for a quick walk before a full day of sitting down can make a huge difference in your mood.

Coffee

Personally, coffee is an absolute essential in my morning routine. Working out and drinking water sets me up for a good day, but there’s nothing like a little bit of caffeine.

Marin Scotten

Toronto MU '21

Born and raised in Ottawa, ON, Marin moved to Toronto to study journalism as well as play basketball for Ryerson University. Marin has a passion for writing,reading, photography, travel and any outdoor activity.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.