Style

Five 70s Inspired Outfits That Deserve a Spot In Your Closet This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

According to Vogue, the chill style of 60s and 70s will be one of the street style trends this spring. What does this mean for you? It means a lot more suede, platform shoes, and flared pants in your future. Seventies’ fashion was all about creativity and revolution. The decade’s fashion was about who you were as an individual. It was a decade that somehow captured every aspect of style. It was innocent and glamourous, but also edgy and sensual.

Here are five looks to help you master the modern 70s trend.

1. Tonal dressing

Tonal dressing is similar to monochromatic dressing but instead of each piece being the exact same colour, your outfit is created by putting together multiple tones of a colour. For the tonal outfit I created, I decided to use the colour pink. This pinstriped peasant top from Forever21 ($19.90) starts off the outfit with a blush pink tone. Pair it with this corduroy skirt from Zaful ($13.23), and these ankle boots from Forever21 ($34.90) and you’ve got your next Wednesday look.

2. Disco Queen

These chic black pleated palazzo pants from Forever 21 ($29.90) are the perfect mixture of chic and comfy for a night out. Add this sequined bra top from Fashion Nova ($26.01) and you’ll be the life of the party. Top the outfit off with some platform heels like these deep blue ones from Steve Madden ($39.99) to take your look to the max.

3. The Plunge

The plunging neckline and wide-legged jumpsuits- one of the most iconic looks of the 70s. This groovy black polka dot plisse jumpsuit from Pretty Little Thing ($61.60) will make you want to boogie on down to the dance floor. Add a pair of classic 70s platform heels, like this green pair from Modcloth ($34.99) and you might as well add yourself to the Charlie’s Angels’ cast list.

4. The Classic Suede

Another classic of the 70s is the suede skirt and sweater combo. Suede skirts like this mini skirt from Shein ($17.40) were most common among working women. Tuck in a white sweater or long sleeve like this ribbed tee from American Eagle ($33.24) and style it with over the knee boots like these chunky heel 70s style boots from Asos ($39.98). So radical!

5. Hippie baby

The most overrated 70s look, or so we thought. Take off the flower crown, coloured sunglasses, and fringe vest and shove them in your closet for next last minute halloween costume. There is a way to do the hippie era of the 70s right and it doesn’t include a braided headband. This crochet halter top from Forever21 ($13.99) screams 70s hippie. Especially when you pair it with these flare blue jeans from Asos ($32.61). Touch the outfit off with some nude booties like this pair from Old Navy ($24.99).

70s fashion has slowly been making its way into our closet throughout the past couple years. Whether you get inspiration from one of these look or decide to style one specific item, this decade has something that everyone can dig.

Shay Nicolay

Toronto MU '22

Shayna Nicolay has been a Her Campus National Writer since January 2023. She writes bi-weekly articles as well as covering timely content. She graduated from Toronto Metropolitan University in 2022, where she majored in journalism with a minor in graphic communications. Shayna was a contributing writer for her University's Chapter of Her Campus, and was the Editor-in-Chief of her University magazine, Folio. She also was the editorial intern for fashion content creator, Audree Kate Lopez, where she hired and managed a group of writers, ran the WordPress website, wrote and edited articles, and helped with social media copy. Shayna loves walks in nature, bingeing the newest TV show, beading jewelry, and is a mental health advocate. She loves storytelling and media, so content creation comes naturally to her. For the best memes, mental health tips, and bisexual visibility, follow Shayna @shaynicolay on Instagram and @shaynanicolay on TikTok.