Style

Five 2000s Trends You Need to Try Before They’re Cool Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

It’s that time in the 20-year trend cycle— 2000s fashion is coming back in full swing. Don’t worry! You won’t be forced back into those pastel corduroys from your childhood, and there are actually lots of really fun elements in the clothing and accessories from the turn of the millennia. And for added comfort, I promise no low-cut jeans have made the list.

Big Sunglasses

Not only do big sunnies serve the practical purpose of blocking the light (and your face from the public), they are a super cute accessory. Tinted oversized sunglasses were the biggest summer accessory trend for years. After the tiny sunglasses trend inspired by the 90s ended last year, it’s only right we give the opposite a chance at rebirth—personally, I never let them go. 

Bedazzled Everything

While we lost a few of the most iconic items from the 2000s, cute tank tops with bedazzled phrases on them have already wormed their way back into popular retailers. Whether the words spell Von Dutch or Juicy, these tops add a feminine and fun touch and can be paired with virtually anything. Next, I anticipate we have bedazzled jean pockets to look forward to again, though those may be a little divisive. The point is anything from a trucker hat to a belt could do with some extra sparkle, and the opportunity to bring that level of fun to your wardrobe should never be passed up!

Cardigans

No, not those chunky cardigans popular now— although I don’t want to get rid of those anytime soon either. In the 2000s, thin cardigans were sometimes cropped and were an essential part of the…badly remembered layering trend. While they may have been misused by some, why not channel your inner Regina George and start sporting one over a cute camisole? Thin cardigans have seen some attention in recent years with the help of retailers like Brandy Melville, but it would be great to see them cemented once more as the preppy staple in everyone’s wardrobe. 

Kitten Heel Mules

Okay, hear me out. I too was a kitten heel hater most of my life until I found the cutest orange mules at a local thrift store. They are really the cutest paired with jeans or a skirt and offer a slight pop of colour while still remaining casual and comfortable. Kitten heels are still unacceptable for any current shoe style, though. Sorry.

Colour Wash Eyeshadow

Makeup from the 2000s is extremely polarizing, but I think one very easy and simple element waiting to make a comeback is the one-colour eyeshadow. Applied in a simple wash over the eye, the colour chosen often matched one’s eyes or their outfit and usually included some shimmer. It’s definitely the easiest thing to implement into your look if you’re looking for that nostalgic nod to Y2K— anyone can do it, a proficiency for blending or not (a finger may be the best applicator here). If you want to channel your inner Paris Hilton, might I suggest going full sparkles?

Olivia Grummish

Toronto MU '24

I'm Olive-- an English student at Ryerson University in Toronto. I spend a lot of time playing video games, listening to too much Taylor Swift, and harassing my friends about letting me edit all their papers.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.