women fists raised in air
women fists raised in air
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Essential Reads to Pick Up This International Women’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Tuesday, March 8 marks International Women’s Day, a day to celebrate women and their achievements across the globe. This year’s theme, #BreakTheBias, aims to promote women’s rights by eliminating stereotypes, prejudice and discrimination. A great way to commemorate the occasion is by picking up a book that is written by or about incredible women.

From fictional accounts of female heroines to non-fiction memoirs about the challenges of womanhood, any one of these books is a wonderful way to acknowledge how far women’s rights have come and how far we still have to go.

Hood Feminismby Mikki Kendall 

In this eye-opening read, Kendall re-examines the feminism movement and how it needs to be changed to include all women. Kendall ardently explains how the movement specifically excludes women of colour and trans women. The intersections of race, sexual orientation, disability and class create many unique challenges for women that are rarely addressed. Kendall touches on how any issues involving women, such as affordable housing, gun violence and medical care, all become issues of feminism. This book is an essential read for anyone who considers themself a feminist. 

You can purchase “Hood Feminism” here.

“In My Own Moccasins by Helen Knott

Knott’s memoir is an account of her journey through trauma and healing as an Indigenous woman. Through her storytelling, Knott offers the raw and vulnerable truth of intergenerational trauma, sexual abuse and addiction from lived experience. However, this is also a story of recuperation and resistance. Knott details both her spiritual and physical recovery to reclaim not only her own story but her culture. This book is a challenging read, but one that will not be forgotten. 

You can purchase “In My Own Moccasins” here.

“Women Talking by Miriam Toews

Based on true events, this novel follows the secret meetings of eight Mennonite women. For the past two years, dozens of women and girls from the community believed demons attacked them during the night. Once they learned that these “demons” were men from the community who drugged and raped them, the women were determined to protect themselves from further harm. While men from the community were attempting to get the attackers out of jail, the women – while illiterate and with little knowledge of the outside world – had to determine whether or not to escape. This book spotlights the resilience and strength of these women and sparks a meaningful conversation about women’s liberation. 

You can purchase “Women Talking” here.

“Know My Name by Chanel Miller 

When Miller’s victim impact statement from the rape trial against Brock Turner in 2016 came out, she was only known by her pseudonym Emily Doe. In her 2019 memoir, Miller reclaims her identity from what the press labelled solely as an “unconscious intoxicated woman” to tell the story of her rape and healing. Miller gives voice to thousands of women who have been silenced after sexual violence while also navigating the political landscape that surrounded her assault. This novel is a masterfully told story that every person should read. 

You can purchase “Know My Name” here.

“I’m Afraid of Men by Vivek Shraya 

Despite being only 85 pages long, this powerful essay examines Shraya’s relationship with gender and society’s struggle with masculinity. As a trans woman, Shraya details the pressure imposed on her to behave in a traditionally-masculine way. Written in a series of second-person monologues, Shraya is speaking directly to the people she struggles with. This accessible and moving piece adds a valuable perspective on gender nonconformity and expression. 

You can purchase “I’m Afraid of Men” here.

“Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay 

In this collection of essays, Gay shares her journey as a woman of colour and the evolution of feminism. Gay writes from different aspects of her identity, such as race, gender and sexuality, to comment on her experiences and contemporary culture. These essays are a mix of being hilarious and hard-hitting, and is perfect for reading one at a time or all at once. 

You can purchase “Bad Feminist” here.

“Invisible Women by Caroline Criado Pérez 

In this exposé, journalist and activist Caroline Criado Pérez examines the cause of gender inequality by diving into data from hundreds of studies ranging from how products are often designed with only men in mind to the gender wage gap. This book exposes the harmful effects of unconscious bias and how it is rooted in many aspects of daily life. This book is an accessible look at the detrimental consequences of data bias and how research often fails by not taking gender into account. This book analyzes data from various topics to construct a narrative emphasizing the same overarching issue: Women are often rendered invisible.

You can purchase “Invisible Women” here.

“The Pull of the Stars by Emma Donoghue 

Donoghue’s 2020 novel transpires at the height of the Spanish Flu in Dublin. Over three days, readers follow a nurse, a doctor and a volunteer (all women) struggling to keep an understaffed maternity ward from falling apart when patients need them most. This story of heartbreak, hope and love goes beyond the derelict hospital. With women at the heart of the story, this book is a tribute to the achievements of women both past and present. 
You can purchase “The Pull of the Stars” here.

Julia Tramontin

Toronto MU '24

Julia is a storyteller and bookworm based in Toronto, Canada and is currently pursuing a degree in journalism. Julia believes storytelling has the power to create change and is particularly interested in stories about feminism, mental wellness, and literature. When she's not hanging out with her two dogs, she can be found with her nose in a book.