This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

At the end of grade 12, there are those that hold excitement for the future, eager to take on their passion in the real world… I was not one of those people. At first, the notion of university felt so far away, it didn’t feel real for many months. Until the universities physically showed up one day and sent me reeling out of denial. I came to despise the teachers that questioned me every couple of weeks. Though this was merely small talk I had no notion of what I truly wanted to do. Heck, the structure of high school made me even dread the subjects I had a passion for. 

The main issue for me as an indecisive overthinker was this: how I could properly picture myself in the future at said job position and predict how I would feel in the future. Would I feel trapped? Regretful? Would I have wasted all my time and money for a job I have to convince myself to love?

When it came down to it, I chose a science degree at the University of Guelph. I chose out of what I believe to be gut feeling. Still not sure, because as you might notice, I’m at Ryerson now studying English.

These decisions we are required to make seem so severe, especially with the adults that prod you. Sure they may just want you to think ahead, but it feels so final as though you’re planning your will. Yet when I considered my options with my guidance counsellor at Guelph; he assured me that if I switched programs, my credits would last. If I choose to reapply, I could pick up from where I left off.

Life is a journey that is forgiving of missteps, and as time goes on you’ll come to learn these missteps were crucial to the journey. You discover things about yourself. Personally, I knew if I hadn’t acted on choosing Guelph; I would’ve held myself at lower esteem. As I had worked so hard to keep my marks up in high school. Passing my courses at Guelph reinforced my notion that when you persevere you will succeed. 

Yet there was this passion for English that nagged at the back of my mind, and I made a decision not to ignore it.

Alise Griffiths

Toronto MU '24

Alise is an English student Spends her time reading, dancing, analyzing movies, and playing videogames Enjoys the quiet moments to reflect and contemplate life.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.