This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Kim Kardashian filed for a divorce from her marriage with Kanye West last Friday.

The couple started dating in 2012 and had their first child in 2013, North West. In January, they mentioned that they started marriage counselling and living separately. Kardashian was living in California with their four children and West was in Wyoming. This was Kardashian’s third marriage and West’s first. 

While they were together, the couple dealt with their fair share of celebrity drama. One incident occurred on social media while West was running in the 2020 presidential election. At first, Kardashian was not saying anything about who she supports. However, she made a series of tweets  after the results of the election were declared, making it clear she didn’t vote for West. 

The start of 2021 was the start of more rumours. Twitter users suddenly started to claim that West was having an affair with beauty guru and Youtuber Jeffree Star. This rumour stemmed from Tik Tok and was started by influencer Ava Louise. Louise posted a video on Tik Tok making the claim that Kanye West is hooking up with a famous male beauty guru but she can’t say who or he’ll sue her. She also said that this is part of the reason why West is so religious, due to his self hatred.

Star himself said this was not true in a video he released on Youtube in which he said, “This is so weird…this is so stupid. Let me just say this one time…I like very tall men.”

Keeping up with the Kardashians was another drama point in the relationship. Kanye West never cared too much about making appearances on the show and was “not too thrilled”  about his married life being on television during the show’s final season.

Currently, both Kardashian and West aren’t on talking terms, but they have agreed to co parent their children.

Aru Kaul

Toronto MU '23

I'm Aru and I'm a journalism student at Ryerson University. I hope to use my writing to leave an impact on readers, create positive change and enhance my own skills!
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.