Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

It’s the sinking feeling in your stomach as the test is passed out, the brimming anxiety attack as you open the first page, the words blurring altogether as you sweat, a completely and utterly blank mind, and the frustration that comes after because you know that you studied hard. This is what test anxiety feels like.

Test anxiety is a phenomenon that anyone from elementary school students to adults in a workplace setting can struggle with. The anxiety itself is centered around the fear of failing. It’s more than just pre-test nervousness – it can directly impact one’s performance on a test or exam and often hinders them from reaching their full potential on the evaluation. 

The good news is that there are ways to combat these feelings and that you aren’t alone. According to the American Test Anxiety Association, about 16 to 20 per cent of all students have test anxiety too. It’s not just you!

School Supports

As someone who has struggled with test anxiety her whole life (I remember throwing up during a math test in first grade because of how anxious I was), I can say that school support makes all the difference. Having teachers cooperate, create a plan of action, and find ways to make the student more comfortable during tests is a helpful way to combat any test anxiety the student may be feeling.

Some teachers/professors may be more likely to provide accommodation than others. In high school, I had teachers who offered to have me write my tests in the student center where there were adults experienced in dealing with test anxiety present to calm me down if I began to panic. Other teachers were not as understanding, such as a teacher I had in my later years of high school that told my mother, “If she studied harder, maybe she wouldn’t have test anxiety.” That’s not how test anxiety works. No matter how much I study or know the material I could fail a test in any subject at any time, including English, a subject that I loved so deeply. 

Ryerson University has great support systems to turn to when experiencing test anxiety. In the past, Ryerson has held a “learning circle” about test performance and anxiety where counselling and academic services came together with students to provide support on campus. You can also speak to a counselor directly about how you’re feeling, which can help you in the long term. Depending on the severity, you may also be eligible for academic accommodations, which would allow you to have different options for where and when you write tests or exams. All these outreach programs are in place to help you succeed in spite of test anxiety and reach your full, honest potential. 

Social Perception

Something I struggled with during the peak of my test anxiety was how isolating it felt. I was constantly failing tests and exams that I studied so hard for, across all subjects. I didn’t know anyone else that was experiencing this feeling. However, as soon as I started slowly opening up to other students and friends, I realized that so many people felt the same way as I did. It didn’t make me dumb or a bad student. I actually cared so much about school and doing well that my anxiety had the opposite effect. I was a good student, I just needed a little extra help.

Once I had the support of my family and friends, I felt comfortable speaking with my teachers about how I was feeling and what help I needed during exams or tests. That was when my grades started to change and I finally felt like my hard work was being reflected.

It’s hard to talk about test anxiety because it may come with a negative social perception but once you open up, it gets so much better. A lot of people struggle with this but even more people want to help you succeed through accommodations and assistance. 

Things You Can Do

There’s also a few things you can do on your own to help ease the anxiety and fear you might feel before a test.

Learn the best way for you to study.

Many people with test anxiety study in small increments over a longer period of time. Instead of cramming the day before, which induces anxiety, studying an hour or two every day for a week might work better for you. Finding the combination that works for you could make a big difference.

Start a pre-test routine.

This is what you would do the night, morning, and minutes right before the test. For me, this means a relaxing bath or shower the night before, a good breakfast with coffee, and taking a minute to myself right before the test to practice affirmations (“I studied hard and I know this information” or “I did my best and will do my best”) with deep breaths. This routine calms me down and gets me in a better headspace before the test.

Talk to teachers, family, and friends.

They can support you and help calm your nerves before the test, as well as reassure you that you know the information and you’ll kill it on the evaluation.

Test anxiety can be difficult to overcome and can hinder your potential when it comes to evaluations. However, with the right tools and support, it is possible to manage or even eliminate the anxiety that comes with exams. You aren’t alone and you can move forward to ace those tests that you study for!

Cassandra Earle

Toronto MU '22

Cassandra Earle is a second-year journalism student at Ryerson. She was born and raised in Vancouver, equidistant from the mountains and the beach. She moved to Toronto for university and to pursue her dreams. Besides writing, she also loves dogs, “Friends” and traveling. She enjoys running, playing soccer, and talking about politics. Her family & friends are her world, and her dog, Arlo, is her pride and joy. She also has a plant named Fred, even though she’s not much of a green thumb. She’s so excited for the year ahead and can't wait to write about the things she's passionate about.
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.