This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

This year is an unprecedented one, which is something we’ve all heard time and time again, and frankly, are getting sick of. But one thing seems to remain — that feeling of sadness surrounding Christmas and the holiday season. For some, this time of year is actually a stress reliever that allows them to unwind with their family, friends and good food. But for others, especially with existing difficulties, the holidays only seem to heighten the pain.

Seasonal depression is something that is experienced by many Canadians. According to a mental health study done in 2013, about two to three percent of Canadians will experience Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) in their lifetime, which is a major form of depression that accompanies the changing of the seasons. People who have SAD tend to have many of the normal warning signs of depression, such as trouble thinking and concentrating, reduced or increased appetite, trouble sleeping and unexplained physical problems, such as back pain or headaches. 

It’s almost easier to pretend as if it doesn’t exist, but ultimately, attempting to carry on with the holiday season and trying to hide that looming sense of dread is harder in the long run. By excessively avoiding these feelings of sadness, you might end up in a place that you aren’t able to get yourself out of. If these feelings last, talk to your doctor or mental health professional. Try and learn how to recognize some triggers that come with the holidays, such as the loss of a loved one or financial stress. Even something as simple as being unsure what to give to someone that you hold near and dear to your heart can result in levels of stress that could cause you to have a meltdown. Being able to recognize these triggers might even prevent impulsiveness and agitation. But recognize this — it’s okay to feel sadness and grief. Cry if you need to. Special occasions that bring family together may only remind you of a loved one’s absence during this time. It’s normal for you to experience a grieving period; don’t deny yourself these emotions. Despite your best efforts to try and enjoy this special time, you may find yourself feeling persistently sad, unable to sleep and even experience feelings of hopelessness. 

Personally— and I hope I don’t sound too cynical here— seeing all the Christmas decorations on display outside of everyone’s houses, coupled with the social media posts of everyone having a great start to the holidays, makes my stomach drop. Sometimes, this feeling even makes its way up to my chest and burns throughout my whole body. Christmas traditions my family and I have had for years aren’t going to happen, and I constantly worry about the well-being of my extended family. It worries me that even though I’ve been surrounded by family in the past, aunts and uncles that have watched me grow up, I still can’t help but feel lonely. I’ve struggled with anxiety for as long as I can remember, but it always seems to surge during the holiday season. And I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Something I’ve learned is don’t be afraid to seek out professional help. The holiday season takes a toll on all of us, but you don’t have to go through it alone. Reaching out to a friend, going on a walk, and recognizing your triggers and when you’re stressed are excellent first steps that can help you get back into a healthier mindset. Having a grounding technique you know can help calm you down is more helpful than you think. 

Always remember that you’re never alone, and if you need someone to talk to, the National Suicide Prevention Hotline is 1-800-273-8255.

Kayla Higgins

Toronto MU '23

Hi there! I'm Kayla Higgins and I'm a second year student majoring in Journalism at Ryerson University. You'll either find me with my earbuds in, an iced coffee in my hand, or both. I've always loved to write, and hopefully one day I'll be able to do it in New York. I'm super excited to share my experiences with you all!
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.