Health Vagina Sex Periods Std Feminism
Health Vagina Sex Periods Std Feminism
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Cycle-syncing: Does it work?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Ever wondered how you could turn your period into the ultimate productivity tool? I mean, in a world of zoom networking, taking on unpaid internships for resume building and the inability to unplug from our lives, surely we can hack our menstrual cycles to light an even bigger fire under our butts.

Lucky for us, Alisa Vitti has figured out how to do just that. As an integrative nutritionist, self-proclaimed hormone expert and founder of FLO Living, Vitti has spent 15 years researching menstrual cycles after being diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). According to Vitti’s website, most fitness plans and diets are tailored to men, ignoring the 28-day hormonal cycle that affects women’s health. Disregarding this difference in hormones could mean weight gain, depression, stress and inflammation. 

After emerging from her research, Vitti created and trademarked a method she calls ‘cycle syncing.’ Cycle syncing uses the four phases of the hormonal cycle (menstruation, follicular, ovulation and luteal) almost like a schedule—helping one plan when to eat particular foods, exercise, have leisure time and even plan a business meeting. For example, during the luteal phase, Vitti recommends eating roasted vegetables and leafy greens to deter sugar cravings and bloating. And, during the follicular phase, she suggests doing HIIT workouts since the balance of hormones at that time makes us more energetic. 

Although Vitti created the method mainly to help deal with hormonal imbalances (by way of dietary changes), Forbes released an article in 2018 on how to use cycle syncing to boost productivity in the workplace. It was reported that companies such as Sakara Life—a meal delivery service—are already using Vitti’s concept with their teams. Kecia Gaither, Director of Perinatal Services at NYC Health + Hospitals/Lincoln told Forbes that the “creative superstar” time for a woman is during their follicular phase (so if you feel like showing up your friends on a paint night, I’d plan it for then). 

Upon first visiting the FLO Living website, the content made me skeptical of the validity of cycle-syncing. The gimmicky, infomercial-like layout presents me with a virtual hormone program, the MyFLO period tracking app and Vitti’s book, ‘In the FLO.’ I click on a bright, yellow button that says “Fix your period now!” and it prompts me to my shopping cart, now filled with the “MonthlyFLO” program which is $297 USD. Vitti also sells balance supplement kits, with the yearly subscription amounting to $1300. 

As any student-millennial with tips and student loans to spare, I have #subscribed to the wellness industry, but at what cost? According to the Global Wellness Institute, the global wellness economy was valued at $4.5 trillion in 2018. With people stuck indoors from the pandemic with nothing to care for but themselves, who knows how much that number has increased. Key sectors such as the “spa economy” and “wellness tourism” target affluent women who have the privilege of trying out alternative methods outside of regular health recommendations and practices. And that’s where Vitti’s method fits—inaccessible to those who can’t drop hundreds of dollars for a program that may or may not even work for them. 

It’s also worth mentioning that cycle syncing isn’t ideal for women taking hormonal birth control, “since hormonal contraceptives block the natural hormonal patterns in your system,” according to the FLO Living website. 

Vitti does not have a medical degree, but that isn’t to say she’s completely in the dark (hell, if I spent 15 years researching periods then yes, call me doctor). Regardless, it’s important to take programs like this with a grain of salt. As always, what works for one may not work for another. And if you do suffer from hormonal disorders such as PCOS, it’s always important to check with your doctor before embarking on any sage-lit wellness trips (safely casting spells is exempt for all my astro-witches out there). So, maybe you don’t need to do a HIIT workout during a blood moon immediately after hearing about cycle syncing, but hey, maybe you do. 

Pia Araneta

Toronto MU '21

I am a journalism student at Ryerson University in Toronto. I write humour, opinion and lifestyle pieces with a focus on women and feminism. I was a sex columnist at The Gateway and The Martlet and have my own blog, Ladyish.