At-home study space with an icon that reads \"100%\"
Illustration by Canva Layouts/Photo & Design by Anna Wdowczyk
Wellness

Creating A Study Space That Beats Working From Bed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

My bed is probably one of my favourite places in the whole world. Although I was devastated when the COVID-19 pandemic hit, a very small part of me was lowkey excited to finally go to class while wearing pyjamas. But there’s a downside to lounging around all day: it can inspire low motivation and self-worth, making you feel depressed when your classes are only getting more intense by the minute.

Finding a happy medium between work and comfort is so critical for becoming your best, most functional academic self. Although it’s challenging to quantify, I can tell you from personal experience that setting boundaries between spaces for studying and resting contributed to a major improvement in my GPA. 

So, without further ado, let’s explore some budget-friendly tips for transforming your dreaded work desk into a welcoming environment that inspires you to run your day.

Therapeutic Room Mist

I don’t know about you, but I instantly feel so much better when I’m in a room that smells great. I discovered this about a year ago after buying a therapeutic mist from Indigo. Most mists and essential oils don’t expire, which is why they make for a smart investment (especially if you’re on a student budget like me). Some notable retailers with options for under $20CAD include Yummi, Spa Room and Well.ca.

Sunset Lamp

Sunset lamps illuminate a circular light that’s designed to emulate the beautiful glow of a real-life sunset in your own room. Lucky for you, this list on Refinery29 has the scoop on where you can find a sunset lamp without breaking the bank.

High-Quality Candles

Finding the right candle that makes a difference to the mood in not only your room but the hallway too, can be a chore. Cult classics like Bath & Body Works and Yankee Candle can be a great starting point; you’ll likely be able to pick out a scent that you love from their endless array of product offerings. On the other hand, if you’re interested in exploring the market for something more niche, I recommend you look into the custom collection by Spark Candles, Real Talk Candles and The Scented Market.

Essential Oil Diffuser

A regular flow of essential oils in your room can help improve your focus, making you feel zoned in while you study. Many first-time buyers, myself included, gravitate towards Saje which is definitely on the pricier end. However, Saje diffusers do come with a lifetime warranty for manufacturing issues which is a bonus not all brands provide. If you’re scanning the market for a cheaper buy, you should consider browsing Rocky Mountain Essentials, as well as VicTsing diffusers on Amazon.

When it comes to picking out your essential oils, you may want to consult research on scents that have been scientifically proven to enhance student productivity. The top eight aromas include lavender, lemon, jasmine, rosemary, cinnamon, orange, peppermint and citrus.

Himalayan Salt Lamp

Salt lamps do a lot more than just brighten your room with a pretty orange shine! According to WebMD, many retailers also claim these lamps come with a myriad of health benefits, like lifting one’s mood and reducing allergies. To find a salt lamp priced under $30CAD, I suggest shopping around at Goodness Me!, himalayansaltrocklamp.com, Amazon and Etsy.

Your Coziest Blanket

Pro-tip: if you’re on a video call where the camera only captures your upper body, you can feel free to snuggle up by throwing your favourite blanket over your legs. Trust me, it makes Monday lectures and early morning classes so much more bearable

Anna Wdowczyk

Toronto MU '22

Anna is a journalism student who aspires to graduate in three years, with a double minor in English and Professional Communications. As someone who used to aggressively beg her mom to buy the latest editions of Tiger Beat and J-14 at her local grocery stores, Anna knew writing for Her Campus would be a natural fit. Aside from covering trending topics in the media, Anna really enjoys exploring the realm of business and technology. She has written several Biz & Tech articles for The Eyeopener, and she currently works as a case workshop facilitator at the Business Career Hub.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.