This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.
“Someone New” by Hozier, 2014

Hozier is known for his somber indie-rock sound accompanied by powerful guitar acoustics. In his debut album, self-titled as Hozier, this song became an instant classic and instantly transported its listeners to a world of coziness and warm colours.

“Kyoto” by Phoebe Bridgers, 2020

Phoebe Bridgers seemed to burst into the music scene this year after her second album, Punisher, was met with critical acclaim. Bridgers easily combines a bright, upbeat eclectic tone with absolutely gut-wrenching lyrics on “Kyoto.” This, however, makes it an excellent song to kick off a study session.

“You Might Be Sleeping” by Jakob Ogawa ft. Clairo, 2017

Clairo is unofficially dubbed the queen of bedroom pop by indie kids everywhere. In combination with rising star Jakob Ogawa, the perfectly titled EP Bedroom Tapes features “You Might Be Sleeping,” a beautiful ballad about the warmth one feels when they’re with the person they know is the one.

“Sunny” by Sam Truth, 2020

Taking inspiration from big artists such as Pharrell and Odd Future, Sam Truth combines elements of indie, hip-hop and bedroom rap that has an endearing homemade quality. Full of heavy stories and a passionate narrative, “Sunny” is a blissful track that has a captivating balance of those easygoing summer days and the warmth of fall.

“Post Humourous”  by Gus Dapperton, 2020

New-York based artist Gus Dapperton has been active on the music scene for over five years, releasing timeless hits that have received millions of streams. On “Post Humourous,” Dapperton combines a light and sunny production with deeply personal and reflective lyrics. This is a perfect listen for walking down the street and jumping on every crunchy leaf in sight.

“Eternal Summer” by The Strokes, 2020

The title of this track may throw you off, but hear me out. The Strokes are a timeless band that have been producing music since 1998, easily being able to adapt to music’s changing times. The New Abnormal is the band’s first full length release in seven years that does not disappoint. Being the Strokes’ longest song, “Eternal Summer” perfectly preps you for a study session to keep you locked in.

“Wish Me Luck” by Wallows, 2020

Released just this past Friday, Wallows has released their new EP titled Remote that introduces a brand-new electronic rock sound to the band. No matter how far they stray, Wallows always seems to come back to one central theme: one of softness and a gentle floating melody.

“Big Wheel” by Samia, 2020

A beautifully simplistic and almost haunting way to end off your playlist is with “Big Wheel” by Samia. Being her first full length album, Samia is extremely lyrically fluent and provides a familiar level of comfort that is usually only seen in veteran artists. Her album, The Baby, is laced with subtle and poetic writing that encompasses a sunny indie-rock sound

Kayla Higgins

Toronto MU '23

Hi there! I'm Kayla Higgins and I'm a second year student majoring in Journalism at Ryerson University. You'll either find me with my earbuds in, an iced coffee in my hand, or both. I've always loved to write, and hopefully one day I'll be able to do it in New York. I'm super excited to share my experiences with you all!
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.