This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

How could being happy with what you’re contributing to the world be so hard? 

Maybe because there are a hundred and one things you’re interested in? And when it comes to most of them, you don’t know where to start? What if it doesn’t go exactly according to plan? These fears are understandable, but some of the best things in life are worth fighting for. Allow me to elaborate.  

You’ll never know until you try 

As much as you think you might know about a type of work or field, you won’t truly know until you go out and actually experience the environment. You’ll learn so much about an industry and yourself from actually being present in it, whether that’s schooling or a job or internship. Take it from me– I thought I was ready to live out my life as an interior designer, but interior design school taught me very quickly that it wasn’t going to happen in this life. 

You might not get it right on your first attempt

Don’t be discouraged if you do try something and it doesn’t end up being all you thought it would be. We’re taught to think of something we might want to pursue, and then lock in that choice forever. But if something doesn’t feel right, do everything in your power to fix the situation. Of course, we don’t have a million chances, but we have to start putting less emphasis on finding the path of our dreams overnight. 

Don’t follow the crowd

There is comfort in the crowd, but I’ve always been told: “if you’re comfortable, you’re not growing.” You’re likely going to be disappointed following other people’s dreams, or their dreams for you. You have to do a bit of independent soul searching. It isn’t always easy, but it ties into my other points– all you have to do is try something out. 

Saying yes to one opportunity does not mean saying no to another

People will have you believe that you have to pick one thing and you’re locked into it for the rest of your life which these days just isn’t the case! Your interests will change, and you’ll grow out of the lifestyle you thought you’d be living forever, but that’s a good thing. It’s only natural that as you change and progress through life, so will your passions. You can always come back to reignite a previous flame. Act on what you love in the present moment and when it wears thin, move to the next. Don’t limit yourself!   

It seems intimidating and in many ways, finding your passion will be a little overwhelming, but you have to trust yourself. To quote Georgia O’Keeffe, “I’ve been absolutely terrified every moment of my life – and I’ve never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do.” 

Maya Fettes

Toronto MU '23

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.