Campus Celebrity: Mariam Nouser

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Name: Mariam Nouser

Age: 20

Hometown: Toronto  

Program: Mechanical Engineering

Year: 3

Claim(s) To Fame:

What is your favourite movie?

Well I have two. One that brings out my inner child – Despicable Me and after that would be the Pursuit of Happyness starring Will Smith and his son.

Last concert you went to?

I saw Stromae live in concert on September 26th. He is honestly one of the best performers I have seen live. His songs aren’t like the garbage we see today – they actually have meaning and substance and something I can definitely relate to although I am not perfectly fluent in French.

Who/what inspires you?

As cliché or common as this sounds, my parents. They are both incredibly giving and hardworking. They excel in their fields while still making time for what is important in life.

They both are so selfless – never saying no to anyone who needs their help. I strive to be like them although they both say they want me to be better than them which is highly unlikely.

Are you more of a day or night person?

Definitely a night person. However, as of late I don’t find myself dragging my body out of bed in the early hours. I guess as I grow up, I am changing.

Whats the best thing about Ryerson?

It’s endless opportunities for students. There is something for everyone  and here (for the most part) there aren’t any prominent egos ‘lying’ around. As a whole, you don’t particularly feel misjudged. Also, people don’t realize how incredibly helpful the staff and other students here are!

What problems do you think our generation will (or hopefully) fix?

I hope our generation continues to fight against the stigma towards Mental Health. I am so proud to see it being recognized and talked about more and more but it is far from where it needs to be. Certain cultures especially find it taboo to solely mention the word “depression” let alone other words which is quite saddening

Wheres your favourite place to be on campus?

Lake Devo. It is incredible to just watch the diversity we have on campus in a matter of a few minutes. You can see people of many different walks of life in a matter of minutes. In addition, if you sit in Lake Devo and look around, there are buildings with different character. Modern like the SLC and Image Arts Building and older like Kerr Hall.

Youre incredibly active, involved both in extracurricular activities and within your field on study, how do you time manage?

Priorities. I’ve become very fond of to do lists and organizational applications on my phone. They keep me on track.

To be honest, being involved on campus keeps me motivated in and outside the classroom. I love learning and I feel learning goes far beyond the classroom. Don’t get me wrong, I love studying Engineering but I feel like life is more than just one facet.

On the other hand, I’ve never been a follower (according to my mother) and I have had this go-getter attitude since I was a little girl. I have had a lot of examples and situations in my life that have inspired me and now I want to pass the torch along. Even if I inspire just one person, that is one person who can inspire someone else and so on.

Whats the best thing about living in Toronto?

For the most part, expressing oneself in a creative/different way is not looked down upon. You can walk up Yonge Street for example and see such an eclectic array of character. That goes for suburbia as well as I do live in the west-end of Toronto and I find more people are not afraid to express themselves.

I feel dreams can also be grown and harvested here – relocation isn’t needed for the most part.

For the past few months, theres been a rise in Islamophobia. What are some misconceptions you feel our society fundamentally holds about Muslims, particularly Muslim youth?

I feel like some people have this notion that we don’t have lives. In fact, they are shocked when we do something “normal.” i.e. although I am a hijabi, I am one of the biggest futbol (soccer) fans you will ever meet. A legit fan too, who knows the game like nobody’s business. Some people find it funny when I watch soccer.We live lives just like many of you, we love the same things and we partake in similar activities of course with our religious beliefs and ‘limitations’ in mind.

What advice would you give to students who want tot get involved on campus, but might be a bit timid?

If I were to tell you I am also an introvert, you would think I am lying. The truth is, I am. It takes a lot in me to approach people. Once I do, I turn this “don’t think just talk” switch.

Students shouldn’t get involved just so it looks good on their resume-they should make sure it will benefit not only the community but their own your interpersonal skills. Take time to write down what makes you tick, what makes you excited. Narrow down the list to 4-5 tangible things and see if they can be satisfied by a group. If not, make your own group! It isn’t that difficult.

Ryerson is a place open to everyone and it just takes people to slowly walk out of their comfort bubble to realize that.

Lena Lahalih

Toronto MU

Lena is a fourth year English major at Ryerson University and this year's Editor-in-Chief.   You can follow her on Twitter: @_LENALAHALIH  
Ben Samuels

Toronto MU '16

Benjamin is a reluctant third-year English major at Ryerson University and the newly minted Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Ryerson.You can reach Benjamin on twitter and instagram @iamsashagay, and by email at benjaminkent@hercampus.com