5 Ways to Give Back to Your Local Animal Shelter in Toronto

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The act of giving has always been an important part of my life and it is something I continue to do in many ways and forms. I have always found so much gratitude and happiness in giving to others because the idea of being able to make a difference in their day brings me joy. It is a moral I have been taught growing up and something I’ve witnessed in my family – but hey, I’m not complaining! I truly love it. 

Aside from showering my gratitude through giving to others, I also love to give back to my community and help out when I know I can make a difference. Animals – my love for animals is endless and being able to give back to local animal shelters and help make a difference is a remarkable experience.

Follow along to learn more about how you can help out at your local animal shelter here in Toronto!

Volunteer

Volunteering is a great way to stay connected with your community and surroundings. Most animal shelters are always looking for helping hands – those who are passionate about caring for animals and want to make a difference. However, with the pandemic still in action, it is difficult to ensure whether these opportunities will be available at the moment being. However, if you are interested in helping out you can always give your local animal shelter a call and they would be happy to inform you of any opportunities. The City of Toronto has many available volunteer positions on their website and I would highly recommend checking out their page for more information. Make a difference and get involved. Volunteering always comes with many benefits like: making a change, building professional relationships and being involved with your community.  

Donations ($)

If you are interested in making donations to a nearby animal shelter Toronto Animal Services has three ways you can do so; either by telephone, mail or in person. If you take a look at the ways in which local contributions have made a difference back in December 2018 it is almost shocking to see how helpful these donations are. $15, 675.38 was used to cover medical supplies for shelter animals according to Toronto Animal Services. Being able to make a difference by chipping in any amount can truly make a change. As a result of COVID-19, they are currently accepting monetary donations at the time being.  

Contribute to their Wish List    

Another amazing way to contribute is to donate items to your local animal shelter like canned cat food, toys, and even medical equipment. If you take a look at some of the items provided on their wish list, you will be able to see things you can drop off to help out.

Foster a Pet

Oftentimes, local shelters get flooded with many animals and it is difficult to provide services for all animals as a result of many factors. These could be a combination of lack of supplies, fundings, staff and volunteers. This is where animal fostering volunteers come in handy – those who are interested in fostering an animal which is a long-term care service for animals will be able to provide these animals with a place to stay. According to Toronto Animal Services, these animals could be kittens (orphaned or nursing with their mother) as well as adult cats and dogs who are sick or injured. Fostering an animal requires time, care, and responsibility – so please ensure you’re up for the challenge before considering this option. But for those who decide to foster, I applaud you! This is something I would love to do in the future as well to help out and give back to these lovely animals.

Adopt

Adopt don’t shop! Adopting a pet is a wonderful way to help out your local animal shelter. You will be able to find these animals a fur-ever home and truly make a difference in their lives. Many animals have been abandoned, abused and not claimed by their owners and this is where you can step in. Adopting a pet is a big step and comes with a lot of responsibility, but for those who are ready to take up this duty and provide time for a furry friend should definitely look into adopting! There is also an amazing adoption program called Second Chance Dogs which focuses on providing a positive training experience for dogs who require extra care after being adopted. I believe this is a great initiative and breaks the stigma for dogs who are discriminated against for their breed and behaviours. Everyone deserves a chance in life and so do these furry friends! Check out Toronto Adoption Services online for more information. 

These are some great ways you can help out your local animal shelter. Some of these tips may not be available to you right now, but at least you’ll have some ideas on how you can help when your time comes. To my animal lovers, I hope this was helpful and I hope we can all make a change to provide a great future for these lovely souls! 

Mithushana is a third-year student at Ryerson University. She moved to Toronto when she was 3-years-old from Frankfurt, Germany. Living as a Torontonian for the majority of her life, Mithushana has a special heart for Toronto. She enjoys the city lifestyle and fast-paced energy. Also a huge animal lover! With her strong passion for spreading positivity around the world and as an advocate for wellness and self-care, she wishes to use this platform to voice more goodness into the world. Aspiring to make a change through her writing.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.