5 Toronto Attractions to Hit Up This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The winter season is among us and for many students that means staying inside to cram for those final exams. While this time can be stressful and lonely, the city actually has many activities going on that are worth leaving the house for. Whether you’re by yourself or with a friend, check out these places below for some winter fun.

The Toronto Christmas Market

One of the most popular places on Instagram feeds during the winter is the Toronto Christmas Market. Located in the Distillery District, there are many merchant booths selling anything from Christmas ornaments to potatoes on a stick, Christmas lights on every post, and performances of classic carols. The Christmas Market will surely get you in the holiday spirit. Admission is free on weekdays until Friday at 6:00 p.m. After, a ticket costs as low as $8. The market is open Tuesday to Sunday starting at noon and will be running until December 22.

Aurora Winter Festival

Exhibition Place is mostly known for the CNE in the summer, but during the winter they transform the grounds into a winter wonderland with the Aurora Winter Festival. Open until January 5, the festival offers rides like tube slides and carousels, along with mini worlds to explore, including the North Pole. There are different ticket types available online but prices start at $17.99 for general admission.

Winterfest

If you want to make the trip out to Vaughan, the beloved theme park Canada’s Wonderland is open for the first time during the winter season. Similar to the market and festival, Canada’s Wonderland offers its own version, with select rides and the transformation of the Royal Fountain into an ice skating rink. Tickets start at $21.99 for anyone who’s tired of seeing the same things around Toronto and wants a brand new experience. Winterfest runs on select days until December 31.

Ice skating at Union Station

What’s a Canadian winter without ice skating? There are rinks all over the city for anyone who wants to lace up their skates and hit the ice to pretend like they’re Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir. This year a new rink right outside of Union Station gives people the opportunity to do just that, and it’s completely free. The rink is open from 1:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Sunday to Wednesday, and 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Thursday to Saturday. 

Terra Lumina

Starting December 13, the Toronto Zoo is offering an immersive walking experience called Terra Lumina. The journey takes you through a portal to the year 2099 where humans and nature live together harmoniously. The one hour walk is enhanced with multimedia effects like colourful lighting and videos. The walks take place after sunset, but there are limited spots available so booking tickets ahead of time is recommended. Tickets for these walks are expensive compared to everything else on the list, priced at $29.99 per adult ticket, but they promise a magical experience with the possibility of unlocking the secrets of tomorrow.

Whether you’re celebrating the end of exams, procrastinating on your studying, or you simply want to feel festive, these places offer you the opportunity to literally go walking in a winter wonderland.

Keisha Balatbat

Toronto MU '21

Pop culture enthusiast.
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.