This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

We all know vegetables are so good for you. You’ve probably been told a million times, ever since you were a young child. Vegetables are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, have loads of fibre, are low in calories, fat, sodium and cholesterol. They have also been shown to help protect against cancer and other diseases. Another awesome thing about vegetables is that regardless of whether they are fresh, canned, dried, or frozen — they are all still nutritious! Why, then, can they be so hard to incorporate into our diets? I’m here to help! Below are some creative ways to add more veggies into your diet — that actually taste good.

The many uses of cauliflower

Cauliflower is a versatile vegetable that can be used in a variety of fun ways. You can use it to make things like cauliflower cheese-fritters, cauliflower pizza crust, cauliflower rice and even cauliflower soup. My personal favourites are cauliflower pizza crust and cauliflower rice (especially with a good curry) because the flavours of the rest of the food absorb into the cauliflower, so you don’t even taste it. If you’re in a time crunch, you can’t go wrong with simple roasted cauliflower. If you season it right, it tastes so good. Cauliflower provides a number of important nutrients, such as vitamins B and C. This vegetable is naturally rich in fibre and contains antioxidants and phytonutrients that can protect against cancer. 

Veggie Fries

Vegetable fries can act as a healthy snack or delicious side to any of your meals. When trying to replace regular french fries, people generally think of sweet potato fries. However, there are so many other great vegetables that make better, healthier fries. Baked vegetable fries are easy to make: all you need is olive oil, vegetable sticks cut to the same size and your favourite seasoning. Next time you’re craving a snack, I would recommend trying carrot, zucchini, eggplant, or parsnip fries

Smoothies

Whether it’s for breakfast, a quick snack or post-workout, sneaking your greens into smoothies is another great way to add more vegetables to your diet. With the right recipe, you won’t even taste any of the veggies. Spinach is my personal favourite, but you can also try adding, kale, avocado, carrot and zucchini into your next smoothie!

Soup

The right soup can be super healthy and taste really good! Because it is made with water, soup is very hydrating (when it’s not packed with sodium). You can fill it with nutritious ingredients like vegetables, legumes and a variety of meats. Soup is also easy to make. All you have to do is toss some broth into a pot and add heaps of vegetables, legumes and meat if you would like. Soup tastes even better if you add herbs and spices, like basil, sage, thyme, rosemary and a couple of bay leaves. Simmer the soup until all the ingredients are cooked and enjoy!

Vegetables in Dessert

Before you freak out at the suggestion of vegetables in dessert, please hear me out. With the right recipe, you won’t even taste them. A bonus: the addition of vegetables can help keep baked goods moist and sweet without adding more sugar. Try adding some grated zucchini into your brownie batter, or add some carrots into your cookies. If you’re struggling to reach your daily vegetable requirements for the day, do try making some of these veggie desserts!

Happy healthy eating!

Sakina Chaudary

Toronto MU '24

Fourth year journalism student based in Toronto.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.