This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Politics can be overwhelming. It’s considered a defining aspect of one’s character and personality, yet there are so many conflicting stories and information that it’s difficult to know where you stand on every topic. It’s emotional and intense, which can scare people away, but it’s also very important to stay informed. If you are ready to dig deeper and gain a better understanding of current events, political theory and other points of view then here are 5 great podcasts. 

Delete Your Account

A podcast hosted by journalist Roqayah Chamseddine and Kumars Salehi, who consider themselves “radical leftists, but the good kind.” They often bring in guests with impressive resumes such as Ph.Ds, published authors or experts in the field they are talking about that day. They break down many complicated topics and offer their perspectives along with their guest speaker, who is often well-versed in that topic. They also include a news brief in many of their episodes to keep you up to date on what’s happening around the world. They cover political and economic theory often and dive deep into leftist values.

The Daily Show

The Daily Show is just Trevor Noah’s nightly show but in podcast form. It’s great to listen to in the car if you want to catch up on the news and laugh. Politics can be quite heavy, so I recommend throwing in some humour here and there. Trevor Noah has a kind, quirky comedy that offers a fresh and ridiculous take on many current news stories. However, I also recommend this not being the main place you get your news because it is meant to be satirical and goofy and doesn’t always hit on the major news stories.

The New Left

It is a podcast produced by the Democratic Socialists of Canada, and they offer a quite leftist perspective on the economy, housing rights, healthcare, education, etc. They are great for people who are just starting to get more involved with politics because they are very fact-based and offer explanations that some podcasts just assume viewers already know.  There aren’t many Canadian-based political podcasts, so they offer a take on issues facing us that we may not be aware of due to American politics dominating the news.

Behind the Bastards

Behind the Bastards is an edgy leftist podcast by Robert Evans, a former comedy writer. The discussions cover some of history’s most notorious “bad guys” and how these people formed their opinions, gained a following and shaped policy.  While BTB’s subject matter is quite heavy and dark, the panellists are very humorous with each other, which makes the listening experience easier.

Betches Sup

Betches Sup is an excellent beginner podcast. They start their podcasts with a review of what happened that week, and if there was a significant event, they will break that down in detail. For example, during the primary debates in the United States, they had a few episodes explaining the process along with some newsworthy events that took place during the debate. They often have a humorous take and avoid the political jargon that some of the other podcasts tend to use. You can also follow them on Instagram and receive daily updates on your newsfeeds. 

Many people think that politics is too difficult to understand, but it’s important to remember that no one is an expert in this field (not even poli-sci majors). It is continually evolving and happening around us. Podcasts like these can help you understand the week’s big topics and the background behind them. It may seem intimidating at first, but everyone starts somewhere. Being informed is great because you will begin to feel like you can change things and that your voice matters. 

And it does.

Kelsea MacKay

Toronto MU '22

Lover of books, coffee and rainy days.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.