This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The entertainment industry is booming, whether it be film, social media, television, or even podcasts. And if you’re like me, you probably consume media at an alarming rate. Here are five actresses you should be on the lookout for in 2022 and beyond!

Jenna Ortega

Though you may have just recently learned her name, Jenna Ortega has been acting since 2012. You most likely know her from her portrayal as the younger version of Jane in The CW’s Jane The Virgin (2014-19). She also appeared in the second season of Netflix’s You (2018-present) as Ellie Alves. Most recently, she has been making moves in the film industry this year, appearing in Scream (Scream 5) and X.

Daisy Edgar-Jones

Daisy has been acting since 2016 and has been nominated for many prestigious awards. You may know her from her breakout role in the miniseries Normal People (2020) as Marianne Sheridan. However, I wasn’t introduced to her acting credits until I saw her star as Noa in the comedy-horror/thriller film Fresh (2022) alongside Sebastian Stan. If you’ve been on TikTok recently, you may have seen the “Fresh/Cool for the Summer” TikTok dance trend featuring her and Sebastian dancing in a scene from the film. In 2022, you can see her in the films Where the Crawdads Sing and in FX’s Under the Banner of Heaven alongside Andrew Garfield.

Xochitl Gomez

While Xochitl may not have many acting credits to her name, she is most known for her role as Dawn Schafer in season one of Netflix’s The Baby-Sitters Club (2020-21). You can see her next in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as America Chavez in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022). And I’m sure her new Marvel role will provide more opportunities for us to see her in action on the big screen!

Simone Ashley

You may know her from Netflix’s Sex Education (2019-Present) as Olivia Hanan. However, in case you missed it, Simone has also recently made her mark on another Netflix series in season two of Bridgerton (2020-Present) as Kathani “Kate” Sharma. She has also confirmed that she will be in season three of the series. I cannot wait to see wherever her career takes her!

Ramona Young

Ramona is an actress who I have admired throughout the years, appearing in many of my favourite shows! She has starred in two Netflix series, Santa Clarita Diet (2017-19) in a recurring role and in Never Have I Ever (2020-Present) as the main role of Eleanor Wong. You may also recognize her as Mona Wu in Legends of Tomorrow (2016-Present).

Although these actresses have varying credits between them, unique talents and many upcoming projects slated for release, I cannot wait to see what they do next! Make sure to be on the lookout for these actresses who are making their mark on the world and in the entertainment industry!

Sabrina Wong

Toronto MU '22

Sabrina is a fourth year student in the Media Production program. She has a passion for film, TV, Broadway, pop culture and everything in between! She currently co-hosts a podcast called “Ghosted”, where she and her co-host talk about Canadian ghost hauntings in their hometowns. When she’s not writing, she’s probably listening to Taylor Swift on repeat.