4 Budget-Friendly Toronto Salons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

“Cheap” and “quality” are two words rarely combined in an instance that doesn’t involve juxtaposition. This is especially true when it comes to talk of beauty and hair services. It’s easy enough to find good and affordable beauty products anywhere.  Within a short walk of the Ryerson campus there are a handful of places– Shoppers Drug Mart, Chinatown, etc.– where you can find any budget beauty brand on the market. However, it’s hard to know where to look when you’re in need of  professional beauty services. More importantly, it is even more so when you don’t want to break the bank. Luckily, thanks to the large diversity of salons within Toronto’s downtown core, all it takes is a little digging. Here’s a curation of beauty services for the Ryerson collegiate who knows just how good it feels to look on point and stay within a budget.

Nails

Downtown Toronto is so densely packed with small-scale salons that it’s hard to know where to look in order to find the right one. Sometimes, the best affordable salons have little or no online presence at all. A short walk around the neighborhood can be much more useful than depending on the internet to find yourself a cheap nail job. Especially if you’re the kind of girl who appreciates a $15 manicure.

If that’s not you-you’re reading the wrong article.

HC’s top two picks:

1.     Urban Nails: Sacrifice the hefty price tag of typical nail services without sacrificing the good vibes of a sleek salon. Snag a manicure for $15, and a pedicure for $25. (179 Danforth Ave, Toronto)

2.    Polish’d Nail Bar: Polish’d is your new go-to for fun seasonal nail art. Add just $3 onto your regular manicure and walk out with Instagram-ready hands. (130 King Street W, Toronto)

Hair

A good haircut is always an investment. The best advice for someone looking for an outstanding and budget-friendly hair salon is to stop looking. However, if you aren’t extremely picky and are willing to take a chance on a hair stylist who may lack in experience, there are options out there.

HC’s pick:

1.     The Aveda Institute: The Aveda Institute is Canada’s top hair school with world-class instructors and an established reputation. You’ll be leaving your locks in the hands of a student, which can be risky, but the $22 starting cost of a haircut makes the gamble convincing enough for anyone. (125 King Street E, Toronto)

Wax

Ah, yes. A good wax. Many of us Ryerson students know that no level of at-home wax can beat the work of a professional. And, because it needs to be said, we’ve all tried those at-home waxing kits that you can buy for under $10. No bueno, my friends. Here’s a better alternative:

HC’s pick:

1.     Urban Nails: We mentioned Urban Nails earlier and couldn’t help to give them another shout out. Their waxing room isn’t questionable, as are many, and their prices are almost too good to be true. Seriously– they offer an eyebrow and upper lip wax combo for $12. That’s like two Starbucks lattes at the SLC, but way more satisfying. Your brows, and bank account, will be on fleek. (179 Danforth Ave, Toronto)

If these picks aren’t for you, there are many more budget friendly salons in the downtown core to look out for. A worthwhile tip is to check out prospective salons on social media, particularly Instagram, to see if they suit your taste (and budget). Happy saving!

Ryerson gal. Loving the city, missing my dog and probably listening to an audiobook 
Ben Samuels

Toronto MU '16

Benjamin is a reluctant third-year English major at Ryerson University and the newly minted Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Ryerson.You can reach Benjamin on twitter and instagram @iamsashagay, and by email at benjaminkent@hercampus.com