This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Pre-pandemic, I had a pretty strict regimen that I stuck to when it came to shopping, but when you’re staying inside for an indefinite amount of time … well, that’s when all the rules go out the window and you need to get creative. So, instead, I started to focus on creating an organizational structure that would work best for where I’m at right now. 

It is also of no surprise that our bodies are finding new ways to adjust to all the changes that are going on around us. I know that my body has changed a lot all throughout my life, and I’ve coped by rejecting it each time, but that stops now. I realized that if I wanted to shop for the new body that I am in, then I would have to let go of a few things to make some room for the new. So whether you’re looking for a way to show yourself some compassion, shop for some new clothes for your work-from-home attire or are just interested in organizing what you already have, here are a few tips and tricks that I’ve learned that just may help:

Bringing back the KonMari Method: Does it spark joy?

When I first watched the hit Netflix series, Tidying Up with Marie Kondo, I was immediately taken by how unique the approach she had developed was. Usually, when I would clean out my closet or any other space, I never placed importance on how it would affect my mood and perceptions going forward. Her method allows you to respect and let go of the items that once brought you joy but no longer do now. If you’re looking for a more comprehensive and detailed step-by-step guide visit Marie Condo’s website, and hopefully, it can help you feel less overwhelmed with deciding what stays and what you need to thank and let go of. (P.S. it helps to group different sets of items together and then decide what you need and don’t!)

Baskets, boxes and containers (Trust me on this one!)

For this tip, IKEA is going to be your best friend and go-to. I may be a little biased, as the entirety of my life is tightly shut away and organized in containers, but one super-easy way to dress for a particular season is to make space for it. Living in Toronto has taught me one big lesson: no matter how small the apartment _ there’s always space for extra clothing! There are several ways in which you can utilize different boxes, but the easiest way to start is by seeing what items you don’t need right now and placing them in containers to go under your bed or in your storage locker. Next, use a few baskets in your closet to separate your existing clothing by intimates and socks, basic crop tops/tank tops, and sweatpants and basic tees. Then hang up whatever else you use in your day-to-day routine. This may seem like an obvious step, but one that we often underestimate.

If you buy something, you let go of something

This is a general rule that I have lived by for a while now because it allows some space for sustainability whilst maintaining a mindful practice of evaluating what you own. Any time I get the sudden urge to buy an entirely new closet, I’m able to stay grounded with the help of this rule. It allows me to acknowledge whether I am ready to let go of items and make space for new ones, or whether I need to experiment more with what I already have. If you’re someone who struggles to decide on when the best time is to let something go, it helps to have friends around to make a whole day out of it. This way you can immediately pass things on that someone else might make better use of than you have.

Dania Ali

Toronto MU '21

Dania is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. Her interests include social justice issues, art, culture, and lifestyle.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.