This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Since starting university, my commute has suddenly become a lot longer. I spend about two hours a day on public transit now, and I need something to help me zone out while on a packed train. In the past, I’ve tried reading, watching Netflix, and staring out the window while pretending to be in a music video. Although all of these options are fun in their own right, my preferred method of passing time is listening to podcasts. 

Podcasts are the best form of commuting entertainment because you can sit back, relax, and let the podcast do all of the work. You don’t have to physically read or watch something, which I believe is crucial after a hard day. 

There are podcasts for all interests too. Want to learn about the rise of free porn online? There’s a podcast for that. Enjoy listening in on other people’s relationship problems? There’s a podcast for that too. No matter what you’re into, there is probably a podcast out there for you. 

My personal favourite kind of podcast is a pop culture podcast. I like anything that discusses movies, music, and TV in depth. The list below features different podcasts that specifically focus on at least one of these elements in some way or another. Some are serious, some are lighthearted, but all make for a better commute.

Still Processing – The New York Times

Still Processing is one of the best pop culture podcasts out there in my opinion. The two hosts, Wesley Morris and Jenna Wortham, talk candidly about different cultural events, weaving their thoughts and opinions throughout. I love their chemistry and insight – it feels like two friends hanging out.

In one of my favourite episodes, titled “Yeehaw,” Morris and Wortham discuss Lil Nas X’s rise to fame and his breakout song, “Old Town Road.” What I love about their conversations is they often bring up the political and historical implications of different pop culture moments. They leave me thinking about how and what I consume and why I may choose to consume it.

Some other topics they’ve covered are “BeyChella” and Beyonce’s legacy, Netflix’s Sex Education and the history of sex in movies and TV, and needing more “bad” female characters. If you like fleshing out what pop culture means in a greater cultural context, this is definitely one you should check out.

The Rewatchables – The Ringe

If you’re like me and love digging into a movie and everything it could possibly offer, this is the podcast for you. The Rewatchables is hosted by various members of the Ringer staff, and each episode revolves around one movie and the different characteristics that make it rewatchable. They have their own specific grading system, including apex mountain – which cast member’s career was at its peak at the time the film came out – and casting what-ifs.

They go over all the details of what they like, dislike, and what the movie means to them personally. My personal favourite episodes are on The Notebook and Gone Girl. The style of conversation makes it feel like they’re all hanging out after going to see a movie in theatres – the post-movie breakdown. It’s an easy podcast to listen to and highly enjoyable after a long day of work or school. 

Keep It – Crooked Media

This podcast makes me laugh like no other. Hosted by Ira Madison III, Louis Virtel and Aida Osman, the three discuss what’s going on in media and politics and conclude by announcing their “Keep Its” for the week.

Each episode features a different guest, and the conversation is always specific to what has happened within the last week of the news cycle and Twittersphere. The three hosts are truly some of the funniest people working in the podcasting world. They do a great job of poking fun at some of the atrocities of modern-day pop culture while bringing light to social injustices.

They cover everything from music, to movies, and books. If you like some mild celebrity shit-talking combined with political updates, you’ll like this podcast. My personal favourite episodes include “There Will Be Boos” with Hunter Harris and “Catch and Keep It” with Ronan Farrow.

Hopefully these podcasts will make your commute, lunch breaks and study sessions a little easier this semester! 

Sarah Sparks

Toronto MU '23

Sarah is a Creative Industries student at Ryerson University. She is passionate about many things, especially film. She can generally be found attempting to say hi to dogs on the street, quoting Fleabag to herself, or watching any version of SKAM she can find with english subtitles.
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.