3 Coming-of-Age Movies To Help Kick-Start Your Virtual Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The school year has officially begun and for many of us, our academic lives will be changing dramatically. Zoom classes, virtual office hours and live-streamed orientations are the new norm — at least for now. What was once one of the most exciting parts of the year has become tinged with uncertainty and confusion with how to navigate this new life we’re all facing. If you’re anything like me, you’re probably feeling slightly overwhelmed with the prospect of so much change occurring at one time (especially if you’re entering your first year of university). When I feel like I’m grappling with change, however major or minor, I always turn to the good ol’ trusty genre of the “coming-of-age” film (that and, of course, David Bowie’s iconic song). 

Coming-of-age films have a certain magic to them. There’s something about watching someone stumble through the challenges of growing up that speaks heavily to the beautiful nature of change. I remember leaving the theatre after watching Greta Gerwig’s Lady Bird feeling completely transformed, like the experiences of Christine/Lady Bird were something I was going through myself. To be fair, I sort of was; I too was just a sad university student wandering around a city with mascara running down my cheeks, looking for a sign of what to do next. The film affected me so much that I dropped out of the university I was attending at the time… but that’s a story for another day. Coming-of-age films tug on our heartstrings because they’re universal in their depictions of fear, embarrassment, and most importantly, courage. Courage takes many forms in coming-of-age films: whether it’s defeating the villain that’s had it out for you since birth, breaking a rule for the first time in your life, or accepting yourself despite the many obstacles that are convincing you not to, the bravery of the characters can have lasting effects on those of us watching. Change is only transformative when we face our uncertainty and discomfort head on. The characters do not change despite their hardship but because of it — and that’s something that inspires me for the upcoming semester. 

With the official kickoff of the new virtual school year, there’s no time like the present to indulge in the melancholic feeling of not knowing what comes next. Here are three coming-of-age movies that may or may not be on your radar to help inspire you to embrace the unknown that lies ahead, or even to jump in headfirst. 

Pariah (2011, dir. Dee Rees)

**Trigger Warning: brief depictions of domestic assault**

Acclaimed director Dee Rees depicts a snapshot of the life a young lesbian girl named Alike living in New York City in the mid-2000s. Alike is shy yet daring, constantly pushing herself out of her comfort zone in an effort to explore her sense of self. She’s clear on her sexuality, and makes no apology for it. Even while living with her overbearing, traditional mother and perceptive yet denying father, Alike finds solace in her best friend Laura. There’s romance, heartbreak, an iconic needle drop within the first two minutes and a stunning poem at the end that will leave you at a loss for words. It’s a tender yet funny portrayal of loving and living authentically. When I first watched the film, I was struck by how proud Alike is of herself. She never once doubts her self-worth — it is clear that, even if the relationships in her life are rocky and unsteady, she acts as an anchor for herself by loving herself completely and unconditionally. Have I sold you on watching it yet? Check out the trailer here.

Girlhood (2014, dir. Céline Sciamma)

**Trigger Warning: brief depictions of violence, domestic abuse, drug use**

Girlhood is a French film about a 16-year old named Marieme living on the outskirts of Paris who is befriended by a group of girls in her neighbourhood. Drawn to their confidence and hard-as-nails demeanor, Marieme attempts to emulate them by doing what they do like drinking, dancing and stealing. Anything she can to escape her abusive brother. The girls are tough on each other but are fiercely loyal, going so far as to defend each other in physical fights with other friend groups in the neighbourhood. While Marieme’s story is perhaps less uplifting than Alike’s in Pariah, her tenacity and desire to live her life on her own terms creates a strong sense of autonomy in the finale. She makes mistakes, as all 16-year-olds do, yet she constantly picks herself back up, no matter how big the defeat, and continues pushing forward. I particularly love the depiction of female friendship in this film. It’s not perfect by any stretch; the girls are often mean to each other, sometimes encouraging each other to do dangerous things in the name of a good time. Yet many moments between them are sincere and loving, especially when they get to indulge in the world they create for themselves. Check out the trailer here.

Thoroughbreds (2018, dir. Cory Finley)

**Trigger Warning: Blood, discussions of animal abuse**

I would consider this to be the wild-card on the list for a few reasons. First, it’s not exactly a film that I would say uplifts the human spirit and inspires but it is a whole lot of fun — a romp, if you will. Second, it’s described as a dark comedy and is centered around two teenage girls with a hunger for murder. Keeping those two things in mind, this still counts as a coming-of-age film because the characters do evolve over the course of the film, learning some bloody good lessons about friendship and accountability. To briefly summarize the plot of Thoroughbreds, this film is about two distant friends named Amanda and Lily who devise a scheme to kill Lily’s stepfather, whom she hates. Together, they develop a scheme with a local drug dealer to take him out. Hijinks ensue and it’s safe to say things don’t go according to plan. If you weren’t a fan of the romantic stuff I was saying about the beauty of change at the beginning of this article, maybe this is the coming-of-age story for you. It’s sarcastic, funny, and incredibly messed up — I loved every second of it. Check out the trailer here.

I hope this list provides you with some new flicks to add to your watch list. Give ‘em a go before the assignments start to pile up. Wishing you a safe, happy, socially distant semester!

Sarah Sparks

Toronto MU '23

Sarah is a Creative Industries student at Ryerson University. She is passionate about many things, especially film. She can generally be found attempting to say hi to dogs on the street, quoting Fleabag to herself, or watching any version of SKAM she can find with english subtitles.
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.