This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Prior to the New Year, I would have considered myself to be selfless.

I was the type of person who would put someone before myself. I put my problems aside to make others happy and even conformed to other people’s behaviour in an attempt to fit in. 

Then I realized the energy I was giving out to people was not being reciprocated. I felt as if nobody cared about my life as much as I cared about theirs. 

That is when I told myself enough was enough. It was time for me to turn all that energy I had given to others inwards. It was time for me to make myself and my happiness my top priorities. 

So with the new year right around the corner, I took the opportunity to create my first New Year’s resolution; “2020: The year of self-care.”

Self-care is something I have always struggled with. I didn’t know the first thing about loving myself or what it meant to genuinely take care of yourself. 

Although it may seem like a simple practice, self-care is often overlooked by many. 

Self-care is much more than providing ourselves with our basic needs. It’s activities we take the time out of our day to do that boosts our mental, physical, and emotional well-being.   

So with my self-care journey in full swing, I wanted to share five self-care activities I began to implement into my life that have made an impact so far.

Clean your room

Removing any sort of clutter or junk from your living space can help remove any clutter that may be filling your mind. I know this first hand considering how relieved I felt ever since I cleaned my room. Take the time to clean your room when you have the chance, you may be surprised by all the negative energy that has been hiding.

Do something you enjoy 

Doing something you love can boost your mood in an instant. Whether that be taking a bath, rewatching your favourite movie, or going on a walk, we should all be making time to incorporate activities we enjoy throughout the week as a way to relieve stress in our everyday lives.

Treat yourself once in a while

It is awesome to want to give back to others but you deserve to treat yourself as well. Pampering yourself from time to time can help you stay motivated while also reminding you of the importance of your needs. 

Social media cleanse

Whether it be removing people who bring you down or unplugging for a few hours, social media cleanses should be an essential part of everyone’s self-care routine. It’s important to put our phones away for a few hours to clear our minds and keep in touch with reality.

Rest

We sometimes take rest for granted in order to do more than we can handle. However, giving our bodies a break to heal is beneficial for our overall health. Attempt to give yourself eight hours of sleep each night as it can impact how you feel throughout the day.

Although it is nice to be selfless once in a while, do not forget to consider your feelings and health for a change. Self-care does not have to be a daily routine but it should never be forgotten. Do what you can to take care of yourself this year, it can make a big difference!

Kiarra Swaby

Toronto MU '22

Hello everyone! My name is Kiarra and I am a journalism student at Ryerson University. I have recently become a writer for HerCampus Ryerson with the intent on writing about topics that motivate, relate, and interest you all! Social Media! Instagram: @kswayblogs Twitter: @kswayblogs
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.