This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

I confess, I am a self-described podcast junkie. I make it a habit to listen to at least one podcast episode a day. For those who don’t already know, a podcast is like broadcast radio as listeners can tune in to listen to a variety of different channels. But unlike radio, each podcast offers specific and very niche content regarding many subjects like business, science and well-being. They are the perfect mix of entertainment and education—and the vast majority are completely free! Personally, I love listening to an episode or two while I exercise or do some household chores. If you’re new to podcasts or just want some podcast recommendations, here are 10 of them to start listening to!

Business:

This section is dedicated to all of the TRSM and business-oriented students out there!

1. Planet Money

“Imagine you could call up a friend and say, ‘Meet me at the bar and tell me what’s going on with the economy.’ Now imagine that’s actually a fun evening. That’s what we’re going for at Planet Money.” – Planet Money

Witty and thought-provoking, this economics-based podcast explains how big financial concepts play out in the day-to-day lives of real people and businesses. Though the overall tone of the show is lighthearted, I guarantee that you will learn something new every episode.

2. StartUp

“A show about what it’s really like to start a business.” – StartUp

Startup is essentially a documentary series about life as an entrepreneur. Hosted by podcast company Gimlet Media, this is perfect for entrepreneurs who are eager to start their business and those who are curious about how a business is really formed. Fun fact: this podcast show had been adapted into an ABC sitcom called Alex, Inc. starring Zach Braff but was cancelled after one season. Having said that, it’s still a great podcast to listen to!

Science

Calling all science students and curiosity-driven people! This section is for you!

3. Hidden Brain

“Hidden Brain helps curious people understand the world – and themselves. Using science and storytelling, Hidden Brain reveals the unconscious patterns that drive human behaviour, the biases that shape our choices, and the triggers that direct the course of our relationships.” – Hidden Brain

Interested in all things social science and human behaviour? Hidden Brain will teach you about the psychological processes of your brain and will relate each topic they discuss to the real world. With episodes discussing how our nostalgia can help to orient us toward the future and how our social context can influence our cheating habits, each story will captivate you and leave you with some profound thoughts afterward. 

4. Science Friday

“Covering the outer reaches of space to the tiniest microbes in our bodies, Science Friday is the trusted source for news about science, technology, and other cool stuff.” – Science Friday

When you can’t get enough of science, what podcast should you listen to to satisfy your craving? Why, Science Friday, of course! For those of you who are planning to pursue science-related careers in the future, Science Friday is the podcast to keep you up-to-date on all science news providing in-depth coverage on various current topics. Discussing topics like if fungus can survive climate change, insights from international doctors of the pandemic or even the evolution of life on Earth, this podcast has you covered. What’s more is that it frequently features listeners that call in with their burning science questions.

Language

Language lovers and arts students alike unite, this section is for you!

5. Duolingo French Podcast

“Listen to episodes of the French Duolingo podcast for compelling, true-life stories that improve your French listening and comprehension skills. Fascinating stories in easy-to-understand French.” – Duolingo French Podcast

Ah, Duolingo. The infamous language learning app also has a podcast for you to better your French skills! With stories ranging from various Francophone countries, like Morocco and Martinique, listeners will broaden their horizons, discover new cultures and more. If French isn’t your cup of tea, they also have a Spanish version where they also tell real stories!

6. Lexicon Valley

“If you’ve ever had curious thoughts and questions about the ways we speak, read, and write, Lexicon Valley is the show for you. ” – Lexicon Valley

Hosted by John H. McWhorter who teaches linguistics, philosophy, and music at Columbia University, this is the podcast for all you linguist lovers. With over 600 episodes covering topics such as what English will sound like in the future, the power of the word ‘like’, and whether or not climate can influence language, there is no doubt that Lexicon Valley has got linguistics covered.

Well-Being

7. Happier with Gretchen Rubin

“Gretchen Rubin is HAPPIER, and she wants you to be happier too. The #1 bestselling author of The Happiness Project and Better Than Before gets more personal than ever as she brings her practical, manageable advice about happiness and good habits to this lively, thought-provoking podcast.” – Happier

With new episodes every week, each one offers simple yet helpful advice on how to make our lives at home, school, and work happier. Every single episode offers new information and practical tips that you will definitely use. Note: Some episodes are only three to five minutes so they are great to listen to if you’re taking a short break from studying!

8. Kwik Brain 

“The Kwik Brain podcast is a fun, fast-paced show designed to help busy people learn and achieve anything in a fraction of the time!” – The Kwik Brain

Hosted by Jim Kwik, a memory trainer to many CEOs and celebrities, Kwik Brain is an “easy to digest bite-sized podcast”. Here, you will discover how to read faster, remember more, and learn how to really use your brain in the most effective way possible. What’s not to like?

Other

9. Stuff You Should Know

“If you’ve ever wanted to know about champagne, satanism, the Stonewall Uprising, chaos theory, LSD, El Nino, true crime and Rosa Parks then look no further. Josh and Chuck have you covered.” – Stuff You Should Know 

Filled with entertaining stories and incredible facts, Stuff You Should Know makes even the most seemingly boring topics interesting. Perfect for trivia buffs, this podcast will intrigue your natural sense of curiosity all while entertaining you as you learn.

10. The Michelle Obama Podcast

“The Michelle Obama Podcast features the former First Lady diving deep into conversations with loved ones—family, friends, and colleagues—on the relationships in our lives that make us who we are.” – The Michelle Obama Podcast

Only available on Spotify, this is a podcast that is not to be missed. Michelle Obama, the former First Lady, speaks from the heart as she reflects on her time at the White House as well as what she has done since leaving. She reminisces about her childhood and her family, while also talking about her hopes and dreams for the future. Michelle Obama takes us along with her all while giving us some great life advice throughout the journey.

Bonus tip!

Each podcast typically has a website where episodes can be listened to or downloaded for offline listening. Another option would be using a podcast app on your phone. Some popular apps include: Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Podcast Addict, and Google Podcasts.

At the end of the day, what have you got to lose by listening to one episode? Even if it’s a short five minute podcast, you will come out a brand new person having learned a thing or two. Even if none of these suggestions seemed interesting to you, there are so many more podcasts out there that will for sure pique your interest, so go out and explore!

Amanda Noor

Toronto MU '24

Amanda Noor is a fourth-year Creative Industries student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She's a huge movie and TV buff and American history and political junkie. When she's not writing articles for Her Campus, you can find her watching sitcoms from the 80s and 90s or daydreaming about living in New York City.
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.